Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SMT
Level 3
Level 3

MS Office 2007 play on linux file associations [SOLVED]

Post by SMT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi All,

I have gotten MS Office installed on my mint 10 using play on linux, after several failed attempts via wine. I have found that i can associate .doc files in Nautilus with MS office in play on linux by using a custom command "playonlinux --run Microsoft\ Office\ Word\ 2007"

my question is regarding evolution email. is there a way to have evolution to associate files with the MS office suite? When i right click the attachment in evolution, i get an option to "Open with Microsoft Office Word" but when I select that option Wine gives an error that "There is no Windows Program configured to open this type of file."

As far as the wine failure, I have found many How To's online for installing MS Office using wine. The installation completes with no apparent issues and winetricks installs. Still I get an error EVERY time i open Word or Excel, indicating that "Microsoft Office is is not installed for the current user, please reinstall the software to repair". when I attempt to reinstall the installed Locks up and will not allow me to enter the product key.

For those that would suggest using OO.o, I have tried. I have searched, I have fiddled with OO.o to the point of ripping my hair out and finally broken down to using MS office. My work uses M$ to create report templates and ISO 9006 forms that have tons of embedded macros, HTML, and tables, that OO.o just cannot format correctly. If I think I have gotten it right in OO.o it looks like crap in M$. So until I can find something open source that will not make my work look like crap on an M$ suite, I HAVE to use the proprietary software. I dont want to. trust me.

SMT
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MS Office 2007 play on linux file associations [SOLVED]

Post by SMT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Got it solved, Office is working via wine vice Play on Linux. Fonts look crappy but I am working on that

runbei
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MS Office 2007 play on linux file associations [SOLVED]

Post by runbei » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 am

Had similar problems with OO and MS Word exchanging docs. OO can't open Word docs correctly with even moderately complex formatting. Would love to hear your ongoing experiences with Play on Linux and Word 2007, as it is what I would like to do. I'm resisting using Virtualbox because of the endless Windows XP install with updates ad infinitum.

Return to “Software & Applications”