Why Amarok?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I like Rhythmbox better :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

UlisseMint I agree with you. :D I would prefer that Exaile be installed rather than AmaroK in a Gnome Desktop...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

eriktheunreadying wrote:is there a music player othere than xmms, that has a "pause" key?
look at ryttmbox, exhaile etc. there seems to be a puase button issue? no?
Yes JuK for example... :wink:
But it is a KDE app. :?
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: vs

Post by merlwiz79 »

eriktheunready wrote:they are both awsome applications, one ~dumb~ question, is there a music player othere than xmms, that has a "pause" key?
looking at ryttmbox, exhaile etc. there seems to be a puase button issue? no?

:)
In Exaile the pause button is the play button while playing music.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why Amarok?

Post by poision »

UlisseMint wrote:Why by default there is amarok as audio player? I use gnome, so i think that it's better to use a gnome application. I suggest to think about exaile :D
amarok is good player and many features.Yes you are right exaile is gr8 too.May be amarok is more popular so it is in mint.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

I'd stick with amarok, simply because, IMO, it's the best FOSS music player about, stable, easy to use, easy to organise files, easy to add plugins. AND it's a kde app (I'm feeling the tug of the Qt toolkit these days..gtk is just a bit too...over simple for me...)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Amarok 2, the end of freedom. The end of a spirit.

Amarok 2 GUI... my God! :twisted:

And it seems to be designed for the wide screens, as its three major vertical areas are favoring wide screens indeed. And sad It seems as it push us into the commercial. (Magnatude, CoolStreams...)

Taken from the web because the guy speaks better than I :wink: :

"the freedom seeker might ask whether the "binding" to Magnatune is still freedom — or rather favoritism.

As for the Ruby script for CoolStreams... I don't know why is CoolStreams considered to be "something good" (such an horrendous web site makes me sick), but I know that anything that redirects me to Live365.com is pure bullshit! And most of the contents is for paid membership only.

Oh, and having Ruby as an addition to the bloat... oh my. The younger princess (Ruby) is more attractive than the old gals (Python, Perl), eh?

Now I know why I am not using Amarok: not only because I don't need "ultrasmart collection organizers", or because Kaffeine suits almost all my needs (the same does Gxine): it's because I hate being pushed into the commercial."

Me too, even in my KDE distro in dual boot with Mint I don't use Amarok, I use Juk for music.:lol:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I always hated being assailed by "commercial" :twisted:

This is a practice of "commercial" that we would not probably find in FOSS
Last edited by linuxviolin on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I just saw another reason for not using Amarok:

" I just noticed that Amarok requires Ruby, which is completely ridiculous!

Even when developing a Microsoft Windows application, you can dynamically load a DLL if it exists and get pointers to the functions you need, this way making that library optional (as opposed to linking with an import lib that makes that DLL mandatory for the application to start). Now, how the **** are those open highly praised source developers only able to develop BLOAT, i.e. applications that will soon require you to install the whole Universe just because this is the way they wanted to develop, na!

Highly unprofessional. I never liked Amarok, but now I have one more reason not to use it. It's bloated anyway. I suppose I can compile it without support for Ruby, but it is ridiculous to hardcode it in build configuration options, when you could have used a flexible loading mechanism."

:twisted:
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Banshee? So you love Microsoft? :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”