Language display problems, Korean and Japanese

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hochleistungschiller

Language display problems, Korean and Japanese

Post by hochleistungschiller »

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate board for it, but since my problem does not concern the languages themselves, I think the problem I am experiencing should be of interest to some.
I should mention that I am new to Linux, and on my other PCs I run Windows 7; I've been using the default language support to display Japanese and Korean characters and have input support for them as well.
Naturally I thought this function would be present in Linux Mint 10 as well, and I installed the input functions as well as language support themselves and now have a fairly good idea how to use it. The only problem is, for those of you who are familiar with Japanese and Korean languages, whenever the browser displays Japanese webpages, it shows the Kanji portion of the Japanese text as Korean Hangul -- it makes the language undecipherable, and I removed Korean language support in an attempt to deal with the problem. The problem however still persists, and I'm lost as to what I could do to remedy this problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Language display problems, Korean and Japanese

Post by wayne128 »

I think you have missing True Type Font for proper display of sites that are in Japanese.

one possible thing you could try is to install ttf-wqy-zenhei, it display Chinese, Japanese and Korea fonts.

There are many type of fonts available in the repository, you could use package manager (Synaptic), open it, Reload it, then search for [ttf-japanese],

I am not using Mint right now, but the method should be similar, when I search ttf-japanese I see a list of many ttfs on Synaptic such as

ttf-kiloji
ttf-kochi-gothic

You can select the one your are familiar, and install it to see how that works on those sites.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Installing language support is easy enough, and I assume you have done this for both languages. From your screenshots it looks like you just don't have the proper fonts installed. I don't know much about Japanese, but the Hangul looks somewhat flaky. Have you installed Hangul and Kanji fonts?
hochleistungschiller

Post by hochleistungschiller »

I can read both Korean and Japanese, and the Hangul characters are displayed correctly, albeit with a strange-looking font. I installed the fonts that the person above had suggested, and the problem still persists...
I have Rikaikun/rikaichan running, which is a plugin for Chrome/Firefox that highlights kanji characters and provides the user with the readings for them in a tool tip box - and since this is functioning correctly, the Kanji characters are being displayed correctly at least on the code level.
Also when I input kanji characters in Japanese, it automatically turns the kanji characters into the Korean readings in hangul, which strikes me as odd. There must be some kind of an automatic kanji/hanja to hangul script running in the background of the OS or something, but I'm not entire sure since I'm quite new to Linux...

This occurs not only in browsers, but in offline softwares as well, anywhere I try to input Japanese kanji it automatically converts them to Korean hangul readings...
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Without seeing or knowing anything about your system, my best guess is that you don't have the proper Japanese fonts installed, or in use. There should be many available, so you might try installing some new fonts and see if that helps.

Return to “Software & Applications”