CAD program for MINT? What's on top for 2011?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
frascati
Level 3
Level 3

CAD program for MINT? What's on top for 2011?

Post by frascati » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm

I've only mastered Google Sketchup. The links to CAD in Mint are getting on a year old here.
I"ve yet to install Wine to see how it performs, but there is ample comment as to the pitfalls that I'd just as soon start the learning curve on something more germain to linux (if it exists).

Any recommendations?

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: CAD program for MINT? What's on top for 2011?

Post by feed3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Not using CAD but from one simple googling, found this.. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -software/ if you had tried it and thats not what you search for, then sorry. Hope it help you or anyone else. happy minting.. :)

frascati
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frascati » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:38 am

Thank you for the link. I did a whole day of googling on this before posting, found www.3ds.com and a couple of others. Unfortunately, and despite that 3 in the url, it's a 2d cad program. I'm not an expert, or even intermediate level, cad user, but after getting used to the functionality and perspective of 3d work in Sketchup I don't think I could go back to using 2d primarily. It's fine for floor plans, circuit diagrams, templates, etc.... but for solid projects, woodworking, machining, etc it's very limited.

I'm really suprised that there is not more out there for linux users. Linux having the reputation for being a little 'geeky' to begin with it seems like CAD would be somewhat of a priority. There are a couple of people on the Sketchup forums who have installed SK using Wine in their Linux distro, so I guess I'll give that angle a try for now. Users report a number of glitches associated with this, which is why I came here and asked if anyone might be aware of anything more "tried and true" in the Mint community.

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Hey frascati!

I am an old retired CAD drafter, for 3D I worked with SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor in Windows. I havent used CAD in a while, but did download the Qcad (2d) that is in the synaptic and looks a lot like Autocad 2d.

But, I also have looked at Free Cad, 3D solid modeler...

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... =Main_Page

Its also in synaptic.
Looks promising, worth a look! :wink:

frascati
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frascati » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Hey thanks! Looks very interesting.
I hope I don't wear anyone's patience thin, but I'm so new to this.

I"ve navigated this far via the Free Cad website

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/f ... =Main_Page

Home / FreeCAD Linux / FreeCAD 0.10 unstable
Name Modified Size Status
Parent folder
freecad_0.10.3561-1lucid1_i386.deb 2010-09-18 11.3 MB i1,100 downloads
freecad-0.10.3247.tar.gz 2010-06-20 7.6 MB i1,740 downloads
freecad-0.10.3247.dfsg.tar.gz 2010-06-20 7.5 MB i69 downloads
freecad-0.10.3205.tar.gz 2010-06-05 12.5 MB i9,704 downloads
freecad-0.10.3205.dfsg.tar.gz 2010-06-05 12.4 MB i64 downloads
freecad_0.10.3149-1lucid1_i386.deb 2010-05-03 10.3 MB i3,884 downloads
freecad_0.10.3142-1lucid1_i386.deb 2010-04-30 10.2 MB i169 downloads
freecad_0.10.3139-1lucid1_amd64.deb 2010-04-29 10.3 MB i983 downloads
Totals: 8 Items 82.0 MB

Which of those to I want to download? What do I do with them when I get them on the desktop and unpacked?
Are there any good ABC tutorials on how to install such software in Mint? I'm sure to be met with some well deserved jeers and derision for this, but why can't there simply be a Linux equivalent to an "install .exe" selectable feature in any of the software downloads I look into? I realise I'm spoiled a bit by windows, but does it have to be this difficult?

Thanks so much again.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:49 pm

The DEB is the Mint equivalent to an EXE/MSI installer. Just open the file, and click Install.
In case it opens as if it is an archive like ZIP, right-click the file, Properties, tab 'Open with', and choose GDebi package installer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi!

No need to download from outside the repositories

Its in synaptic (package manager). Your best bet is to download from there.
Just search for "freecad" (without quotes)! The documentation is there too. "freecad-doc".

Just select, click "apply". Presto, automatic install, nothing else for you to do.. :wink:

This way, if there are updates for FreeCad, they will be suggested when you do your Mint updates, in the future.

I just downloaded it, and had a look. Pretty nice. There will be a little learning curve, but I see from the freecad web page that they do have a forum as well.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/free-cad/

Best wishes!

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 pm

As many of the older Linux users may know, I am a Registered Architect living and working in the US.
I have been using Linux and Open Source exclusively for a few years now.
I refuse to use AutoCAD.

I am asked these types of questions all the time.
frascati wrote: I'm very new to Linux, recently installed Mint 10 DVD vers, and have met with much frustration whenever trying to install programs/software/applets. I'm hoping to find a generally useful 3d CAD program similar enough to Google Sketchup (the only cad software I'm familiar with) that I can step into it and start drawing.

I downloaded Archimedes direct from http://www.archimedes.org.br/. but did not find any readme files inside on how to install.

Archimedes is not so user-friendly a program/application as one might think. Although this is a good program, the learning curve is steep.

My recommendations for good user-friendly Architectural/Engineering programs are: QCad, SagCAD and Blender.

QCad is an excellent architectural/enginnering Linux-based program.
SagCAD is a great architectural program for Linux, most similar to AutoCAD.

Blender is a 3D modelling program (similar to Googles' Sketchup) . . . I use Blender for my 3D perspective architectural renderings.

No need to search the web for any of these programs/applications, as they are all in the Mint/Ubuntu repositories.
Simply use the Synaptic Manager, select 'install' . . . Done.
Except, unless you want to read up on the respective Wiki pages or each ... they each, also, have good Help-Forums.

AutoCAD is the only true Architectural Design program accepted by most professionals. The AIA (an American Architects Fraturnity) almost disbarred me for not using this Windows-based software.
While there are NO Linux-based drafting programs to rival the maturity of AutoCAD, some like Archimedes and SagCAD are gaining popularity 'Worldwide' on the AutoCAD drafting/CAD market. In the next couple of years, I can see these programs giving the Windows-based AutoCAD -- serious competition. QCad and SagCAD save their files in the same DXF format as AutoCAD so my saved files are compatible and viewable on most 'any computer.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

frascati
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frascati » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:56 pm

How do I install sketchup via wine?

I installed wine via the Package Manager, then downloaded winxp version 8 from the source page.
I attempted to open the included exe file with wine. I got the error mssg....
The file '/tmp/GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.
I found this page but it does not really explain installation.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=21290

Then I found a link to "Running Google Sketchup in Wine"
http://wiki.winehq.org/GoogleSketchup

... and amazingly, to me, there is nothing there that simply tells you how to install it.

What did I miss?

900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Draftsight for Linux. From the makers of Solidworks.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -software/
Core i7 Linux Mint 19.2/Windows 10

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:15 am

frascati wrote:How do I install sketchup via wine?

I installed wine via the Package Manager, then downloaded winxp version 8 from the source page.
I attempted to open the included exe file with wine. I got the error mssg....
The file '/tmp/GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit.
What did I miss?
You have to mark the file as executable: right-click it, Properties, tab Rights, Allow executing the file.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Software & Applications”