SOLVED Please help with "command line" instructions?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
frascati
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED Please help with "command line" instructions?

Post by frascati »

I'm trying to figure out how to merge subtitles with a video file on USB flash drive.
I found the following instructions online which look pretty promising....

13 Jan 2008, 02:28
After a few hours of googling, and turning up pretty much nothing; I figured I ought to make a note of this somewhere. . My Xbox is hooked up to a NAS box which has all my music/tv/movies on it, and this box runs a /very/ minimal install of ubuntu - ~150mb in total.

So, down to business. You'll need transcode installed, along with mplayer, then it's a simple case of:

transcode -i videofile.avi -x mplayer="-sub subfile.xxx" -o outputfile.avi -y xvid

There are other output formats, but I use xvid, since it's supported by the Xbox. It takes a while longer than just straight transcoding, but it's worth it to not have to watch it on my laptop.

I installed transcode. I opened the terminal and input the line above using the movie file and then the subtitle file and then "subtitledleolo.avi -y xvid" at the end.
I'm probably not doing this right? Also, the instructions do not allow for specifying the language choice within the .sub subtitle file. How is that done?
Last edited by frascati on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrCleanWithHair
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Please help with "command line" instructions?

Post by MrCleanWithHair »

Regardless of whether you entered it wrong or not, I think most people will need a bit more information about what errors occurred to help you out.

If you can post what happened when you ran the command I might be able to offer some advice.
frascati
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Please help with "command line" instructions?

Post by frascati »

I discovered finally that burning a RW-DVD was even more efficient than using USB flash for movie files. My experience with burning such large files to disc was out of date. Last time I did so it took two hours. MY new laptop is so much faster that the same process takes eight minutes. So I'm dropping the work on the USB/flash subtitling.

Return to “Software & Applications”