Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Chrome freaking - breaking after update

Post by Anthrogue » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:16 pm

I believe Chrome was updated recently. The icon for Chrome is somehow different, simplified. Version 11.0.696.48 beta
I'm in Mint KDE 8

Suddenly Chrome appears so far to work fine, until one tries to access gmail. Then it breaks with some idiot message asking if you want to "kill the pages". Going anywhere out of other tabs is also then broken it seems. Anyone experiencing this?
Damned if I want to go back to firefox

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Chrome freaking - breaking after update

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Interesting situation ... You believe chrome was updated ? Ya don't know ? lol ... stuff just decides to update on your system and then let's you know about it later or what ?

Sighs ... just messing mainly. Though you definitely have a different approach to personal computing than I do. I like to know and control everything that happens on a comp I'm using.

Anyway, sounds like you have the ppa's or some repo entries for google's/chromes testing software. Could always uninstall the new chrome after backing up all your stuff you wanna keep. Like bookmarks and passwords etc. and install the version you liked again.

Many of them will automatically restore that stuff if I remember right. They don't fully get rid of everything even when you uninstall them. Unless you explicitly tell them to or use a thorough uninstall utility. Though just to be safe would still back up whatcha wanna keep.

Would get rid of those repo's or ppa's to the chrome testing stuff though. Unless you want it to reinstall the new beta again. Or go into your browsers controls and set it not to update automatically. Has to be one, the other ... or maybe even both.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:26 am

lmintnewb wrote:Interesting situation ... You believe chrome was updated ? Ya don't know ? lol ...
I have seen some of your posts and to be honest, most of them is a bit annoying.. it seems like you just "collecting" or increasing the number of your posts rather than trying to help the others. No offend but i believe most people here can see that, maybe most of them just don't want to care. :roll:
lmintnewb wrote:Sighs ... just messing mainly. Though you definitely have a different approach to personal computing than I do. I like to know and control everything that happens on a comp I'm using.
i believe that is self-promotion statements. :oops:
lmintnewb wrote:Would get rid of those repo's or ppa's to the chrome testing stuff though. Unless you want it to reinstall the new beta again. Or go into your browsers controls and set it not to update automatically. Has to be one, the other ... or maybe even both.
Shocking statements from someone that going anywhere in this forums promoting the campaign of errrr, hating windows? :lol: I see myself as newbie, and even if i'm newbie, i know that in any distro, to install anything, it requires root privileges and definitely it will ask for your password. There are no such thing as auto-upate, not even for chrome/chromium, not even for firefox. That feature is for errrr, windows version? You are giving misinformation thus might lead to made the OP to believe that any apps can update themself without any permissions/interactions from the user.
Anthrogue wrote:I believe Chrome was updated recently. The icon for Chrome is somehow different, simplified. Version 11.0.696.48 beta
I'm in Mint KDE 8
chrome/chromium have different icon color yet looks similiar.

open synaptic, from menubar, choose file->history and see what you have update recently. Reverting it back might help.
try open the application from terminal, see what error is coming out. It might help you to troubleshoot it further. I'm not in front of my machine right now,dont have an access to my mint, or else might able to provide screenshots but i'm away from it now. Sorry..

Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anthrogue » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Sorry, I'm no power user Linux guru. It all works well enough (Mint 8 KDE).... I hit the update manger now and then and realize some new Chrome thing. The icon changed, so something.

Just updated to 11.0.696.50 beta this morning (via update manager). Got in gmail and thought it was "fixed".... and yet, the problem came back later on. So phreakin weird that a Google browser would go apeshit with gmail. I have seen issues with this as far back as 09 in searches... but here it is again??

Frak if I wanna go back to Firefox. But I dunno what version I had of Chrome for Linux which was working before. Then too, I dunno if it is because I'm in an older Mint (8). I try to be intelligent but don't have time to become a total Linux gearhead, though I wish I did.

Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anthrogue » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 pm

open synaptic, from menubar, choose file->history and see what you have update recently. Reverting it back might help.
try open the application from terminal, see what error is coming out...
Via synaptic I find April 16: "google-chrome-beta (10.0.648.127-r76697) to 11.0.696.48-r81577"
How does one revert? (I mean all my instincts about reverting are bassackwards Windows based, and useless)

...also not sure how to run browser via terminal... or what to look for as feedback to operation in terminal.......... the browser opens OK, and appears to function alright until it encounters gmail, whereupon to "breaks" the browser.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Anthrogue wrote: How does one revert? (I mean all my instincts about reverting are bassackwards Windows based, and useless)
open synaptic, highlight google-chrome, hit ctrl+e. It's basically force-version, meaning to say you say to the system, install and use certain version (that you said was ok) instead of the newer version.

If i were you, i will just uninstall it completely and install the stable version instead. The one you use is beta version.

To run it from terminal, just open terminal and type

Code: Select all

google-chrome
then hit enter. Definitely you can see any error occurred when it launched or when it crashed, in the terminal of course.

You also can try run it in incognito mode to see if it has something to do with your extension. If it doesn't crash in incognito mode, then try disable one extension at one time to detect which extension giving you a problem.

Me myself prefer firefox more than chrome for daily usage in my linux machine. Can't see any big different, just there's many add-ons of firefox that i can't live without such as downthemall.

Good luck. :)

Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anthrogue » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Curious to try to "force" it to use an earlier version. Afraid to lose all bookmarks, etc though.......... and damned if I can't figure out how to export that data prior to messing with it

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:07 pm

this looked interesting.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/C ... 16a1&hl=en

and this one too. Looked like a plug-in for chrome ... Could see which of those are available to you.

http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/chr ... ol-24.html

Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anthrogue » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks.... It is weird that I still have a problem. I'm in KDE Mint 8 ... I have dispensed with beta and have:
12.0.742.100 "stable" <<< this version updated today

Usually trying to open Chrome has it spinning its wheels. I close it, open again and it resolves on homepage google.com
If I go to gmail it freezes (sometimes it works for a few minutes before freezing but most often not. This failure appears to muck up the whole session and Chrome has to be shut down completely.

Chrome leaves processes open in the System Monitor long after closing. Try to kill them and you have to try several times, whereas the word "zombie" appears next to some of the processes at times.

Return to “Software & Applications”