Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mint-o-licious
Level 1
Level 1

Broken packages, how to find them? [SOLVED]

Post by mint-o-licious » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:28 am

My Update manager do not want to do updates and gives me the following when I press install (roughly translated from swedish):
"Could not apply changes!
Resolve the problem of the broken packages first."

How do I know which packages is broken? I get no hints about this whatsoever.
Do I have to manually install a few at a time to find which works and which dont? (Do not want to do that, got a lot of updates...)
Last edited by mint-o-licious on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Broken packages, how to find them?

Post by mads » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 am

Hi.
Open Synaptic (Menu > Package Manager). Then click 'Reload'. Now on Synaptic's menu bar, click 'Edit' > 'Fix Broken Packages'.

mint-o-licious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint-o-licious » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:35 am

Thank you, but it didn't help...
Synaptic says it succeded in reapairing all broken packages but update manager still gives the same error message.

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:45 am

When you opened Update Manager did you click "Refresh" first? If no, do it and see what happens.

Still no good. Reboot. Update Manager > Refresh

Still no good. Reinstall Update Manager.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintupdate

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 am

I have to admit that whilst the answers may assist in fixing broken packages, I am curious about the answer to the OP's question, which was how to identify the broken packages (short of a manual search). I have had occasions where it would have been much more convenient for me to identify the broken packages and then decide whether I wanted them, and whether fixing manually was an option for me.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

mint-o-licious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint-o-licious » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 am

Still had this error message. Then tried updating just a few packages, 10 or so. Those updated properly.
Then I hit update on all packages and now it did update without any problems!

Didn't try restarting the computer as mads suggested as that is a big hassle when I'm working. It's a few minutesbreak opening up all applications, folders etc. Nothing I want to do unless necessary.

So, problem solved but still my question hangs unanswered. How can one know which packages are broken?

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 am

mint-o-licious wrote: So, problem solved but still my question hangs unanswered. How can one know which packages are broken?
Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but in such cases, am always can find the broken packages in my system using synaptic.
syn.jpg
syn.jpg (88.49 KiB) Viewed 8483 times
sudo apt-get check
also can be used.

mint-o-licious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint-o-licious » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 am

feed3 wrote:...always can find the broken packages in my system using synaptic.
There we go. Thank you! :)

biggocharley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by biggocharley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 pm

mint-o-licious wrote:
feed3 wrote:...always can find the broken packages in my system using synaptic.
There we go. Thank you! :)
I just installed Linux Mint Debian today and when trying to run the update manager I get a message that i must fix broken packages first. But when I do the search for broken packages (as described in earlier posts in this thread and as mentioned above) nothing shows up. I don't know where to go from here ---any suggestions?

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Broken packages, how to find them? [SOLVED]

Post by DrHu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:28 pm

You can find broken packages via the apt command in a terminal
http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get
  • --no-act
    No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Simulate.
    Simulate prints out a series of lines each one representing a dpkg operation, Configure (Conf), Remove (Remv), Unpack (Inst). Square brackets indicate broken packages with and empty set of square brackets meaning breaks that are of no consequence (rare).
Apt doesn't allow broken dependencies, which is why you sometimes have to fix the dependencies to enable an installation to finish..
  • -f
    --fix-broken
    Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place. This option, when used with install/remove, can omit any packages to permit APT to deduce a likely solution. Any Package that are specified must completely correct the problem. The option is sometimes necessary when running APT for the first time; APT itself does not allow broken package dependencies to exist on a system

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Broken packages, how to find them? [SOLVED]

Post by lmintnewb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:01 pm

If you start up in safe mode, one of the menu items listed there is "try to fix broken packages" ... or something similar. Not sure if it's the answer. Really don't have an answer overall to this. Seems like sometimes the problem could be that a person installed a bad package.

Bad packages probably wouldn't show up as broken packages. Would think the best cure for that would be preventative. Be careful what updates/upgrades you install and keep track of them and changes to your OS. So if you update summin and suddenly your comp is acting badly. You'll know which packages are likely culprits and can get rid of them.

Or using summin like clonezilla ... etc routinely. So that if something does mess up your magic minty freshness. You can restore a recent backup and start from a time when things were running smoother with your system.

Just a bunch of newbish opinions and babble.

Return to “Software & Applications”