Cannot get desktop effects enabled

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
z06gal

Cannot get desktop effects enabled

Post by z06gal »

I have not been able to get my desktop effects enabled. Everything seems to be installed that I need as far as I can tell via synaptic so I am in need of help. Here is the output of inxi-Gx:

Graphics: Card-1 Intel Device 0116 Card-2 nVidia Device 0dcd X.Org 1.7.6 Res: 1920x1080@0.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A

Thank you so much.

Robin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Cannot get desktop effects enabled

Post by lmintnewb »

Robin would be easier on people if you tell everyone which release of Mint you're using and which desktop.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

lmintnewb wrote:Robin would be easier on people if you tell everyone which release of Mint you're using and which desktop.

Sorry I failed to include that. I am running Mint 9 32bit and gnome desktop. Thanks
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Is the card the nVidia GT555m? EDIT: And I thought you reinstalled with Linux Mint 10, Linux Mint 10 would give you a better chance of getting the latest driver working

Looks like you need the latest driver which just started supporting that card -> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

I wouldn't recommend trying to get it to work with Linux Mint 9, there may be dependency and version problems, but your welcome to try if you're feeling adventurous and don't mind potentially failing to boot X.

1) Close all open applications and press Ctrl+Alt+F1, and log with your username. Issue the following command to stop X

Code: Select all

sudo service gdm stop
2) Run the NVIDIA driver package, for instance if the file is in your Desktop folder *I abbreviated the package name, be sure to fill in the right name, you can also hit the <TAB> key to help autocomplete the path.

sudo sh ~/Desktop/NVIDIA-x86....pkg.run
3) Restart X server

sudo service gdm start
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Thank you Proxima. I think I'll wait till Mint 11 comes out as I plan to install it. Thanks for your help. :wink:
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Random newb babble ... Proxima_centauri, if she updates to a newer version of mint would it still be as big an issue ? Mint 10 is pretty dandy Robin. Running like a top on this 8yr old desktop with all of 512mbs RAM. No probs at all.

Told ya it was babble. :D Just a thought. Sounds like ya already have plans to upgrade soon anyway. Yikes Proxima's been with these forums since 2007. Fairly well sure he knows what he's talking about. Whatever ya do R ... don't listen to me. :D

I'm as likely to blow someone's computer up as help em fix it.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon May 02, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's less problematic because there is the Ubuntu-X team PPA for latest drivers -> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

But even then, I'm not guaranteeing it will work.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

lmintnewb wrote:Random newb babble ... Proxima_centauri, if she updates to a newer version of mint would it still be as big an issue ? Mint 10 is pretty dandy Robin. Running like a top on this 8yr old desktop with all of 512mbs RAM. No probs at all.

Told ya it was babble. :D Just a thought. Sounds like ya already have plans to upgrade soon anyway. Yikes Proxima's been with these forums since 2007. Fairly well sure he knows what he's talking about. Whatever ya do R ... don't listen to me. :D

I'm as likely to blow someone's computer up as help em fix it.

Mint 10 is awesome lmint. This is a new laptop and I did not realize, until Proxima told me my drivers were bundled with the 2.6.38 kernel which is the default kernel for natty. I have always just clicked on hardware drivers and activated through that and then went on with my computer life...lol. Anyway, I installed Mint 9 hoping for the hardware driver activation feature and still couldn't get anything going when Proxima told me that the drivers I needed were bundled with the kernel. So, I will run Mint 9 until 11 comes out. I always upgrade as soon as the rc is available which I will do with Mint 11 as well. Anyway, it won't be a long wait so that is good. Live and learn where computers are concerned I guess. :D :D Thanks
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

z06gal wrote:So, I will run Mint 9 until 11 comes out. I always upgrade as soon as the rc is available which I will do with Mint 11 as well. Anyway, it won't be a long wait so that is good.
According with the new blog post you have to wait about 2 weeks for the RC and up to 4 weeks for the final: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1746
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

nunol wrote:
z06gal wrote:So, I will run Mint 9 until 11 comes out. I always upgrade as soon as the rc is available which I will do with Mint 11 as well. Anyway, it won't be a long wait so that is good.
According with the new blog post you have to wait about 2 weeks for the RC and up to 4 weeks for the final: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1746

I read that this morning and decided to go ahead and install Mint 10 since Clem is going to stay with Gnome 2. I still cannot enable desktop effects after following proxima's guide above. I saw on the ubuntu forums that there are alot of people with this issue in 10.10. I'm sure it will get worked out somewhere along the way :wink:

Robin

Return to “Software & Applications”