Best music player

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Algeorge

Best music player

Post by Algeorge »

Hi I have tried them all, and this is by far and away the best IMHO:
http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php?p=/page/Home

Many features, but one of the best is its ability to build a playlist based on the music you are currently playing.
Rhythmbox is out, Guayadeque is in!
Cheers,
Alistair.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pranaone

Re: Best music player

Post by Pranaone »

Thanks for the info, tried it but didn't like it as much as Clementine.
henduc

Post by henduc »

Agree 100%. Clementine is best.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Tried Guayadeque it was just too much for my little NetBook, but better than Banshee (sorry on my spelling) that was already on here.

Just downloaded Clementine so far it's what I needed.
cjsnow1

Post by cjsnow1 »

I've been using Rhythmbox for a while now. It only has one flaw. Whenever I've unzipped a album I've DLed from the web it puts faulty duplicates in with the non-faulty ones. I either right click & remove the duplicates or run a python script I found on the Ubuntu forums.

Other than that it's awesome. The album Art screenlet works wonders too.
Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

Hi I am trying Clementine now. Its interface is cleaner and simpler than GY but what it misses is a major feature of being able to recommend music from your album collection. EG with GY you might select a Clapton track and by the time its finished playing GY has selected more based on your current mood! Also the Internet radio is more advanced than CL. I would say, that once GY gets over is mediocre interface, then it will be a major contender, but until then folks will be attracted to alternatives which is a great pity.
A couple of reviews:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/revi ... music-app/
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/revi ... music-app/

Dont think I could go without the smart music mode of GY...............
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

reckon Clementine gets my vote.
b0nz0

Post by b0nz0 »

Clementinge and rhythmbox and scobbler these with you last.fm account to enjoy music at its best and you will get to know a lot about artists of your choice.
rhY

Post by rhY »

I've been using Audacious (happily), but I'll try Clementine out! Thanks for the tip! Banshee is horrid. Left it a full 24 hours and still couldn't index my meagre 28,000 mp3s.
HorrorCode

Post by HorrorCode »

I use Guayadeque 99% of the time, and if I just need to open something quick to test something in Guayadeque, I use vlc. As for Clementine, I've tried it a few times, but it was lacking a few needed features imho. I'll have to reinstall it and play around a bit to describe them. If you do use Guayadeque, you should definitely build from svn.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

IMO, mplayer (installed like mplayer-nogui) is best due almost nothing of RAM sucking and it does the job :D
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I'm a huge fan of Guayadeque. I like the feature where it chooses songs to play based on your starting selection. I like the browser view that shows the album covers. It gets my vote!
karashata

Post by karashata »

I personally use Banshee. I used to use Rhythmbox and was perfectly happy with it, but when Mint 11 came out and the default was changed to Banshee, I decided to stick with it for a bit and try it out. Once I figured out how to consolidate albums by more than one artist, I was set. That was one thing that bothered me for a while...

Just took a quick look at Clementine, it looks like it's based off an older version of Amarok. I did like the older versions of Amarok when I was running a system on KDE some time ago, but I think I'll try to stick to GTK-based apps rather than pull in too many KDE and QT dependencies...
CaptHilts

Post by CaptHilts »

i remember starting with winamp back in the days of Napster and stuck with it on Win. When completely moving to linux a couple of years ago it was quite the obvious; looking for a winamp alternative...qmmp and audacious were obvious choices and audacious has won in the long run. I have a large collection of music but it's all individually (well starting with mp3tag then switching to easytag) tagged. Files are named after the "number - title" pattern and in Genre/Artist/Album folders...so audacious remained on top until i started experimenting with Rhythmbox, which i quite liked but wasn't really a winner in the long run...same with Banshee...when i started using KDE on my netbook i dove into Clementine and bingo!, i found my new number one...

long story short, using two music players, mostly Clementine followed by Audacious every now and then (on both, gnome and KDE).
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I'm partial to Guayadeque as well, mostly because of how well it handles extremely large libraries. The intuitive layout is another big plus.
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daveleh »

My choice has to be gmusicbrowser. I particularly like the fullscreen mode with 2 pictures showing, one for artist and one for album.

Here's an example

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4742796/Screenshot.png

Rgds
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
Psychp

Post by Psychp »

moc (music on console) has my vote. simple fast and efficient.

Return to “Software & Applications”