Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NumberSeventeen
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with webcam sessions

Post by NumberSeventeen »

Hello Forum.

I have a LM10 desktop and my girlfriend is using Windows Vista (yeah I know, but her school insists she uses Windows).
We have a long distance relationship and since my Linux adventure we can get a proper webcam stream.
I tried lots of programs and opened almost every port on both of our routers but still nothing works.

MSN is a real problem because of live messanger is no longer using the normal msn stream for webcams so amsn can't connect it. She is now using amsn of emesene too but half of the time we don't see each other and when we do the screan is blocky and slow.

Google talk works a lot better. I see her at 70% and she me on 30%. Still nog good enough for me since we used to see each other in full screen mode at 100%, no lag.

Skype is a different story. I see her cam at the full 100%. But she can't see mine. And i can't seem to hear her.

I there any good program I can try or is there any good fix for my problems?
It's over half a year now and we both get tired of it. Don't want to change back to Windows becouse of 1 issue.

b0nz0
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem with webcam sessions

Post by b0nz0 »

Try camorama it's working fine with me.

NumberSeventeen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NumberSeventeen »

Camorama is a program to view your own webcam?
I need a program that can start a conversation with others.

b0nz0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by b0nz0 »

Try Ekiga, just sudo it.
Ekiga, formerly called GNOME Meeting is a VOIP and video conferencing application that works across Linux and Windows. It includes many great features like USB hotplug support, Contact list, Basic instant messaging, video calling, call transfer, call forwarding and more. Due to its huge number of features as well as stability, Ekiga has been touted as the best FOSS replacement for Skype, as many competitors don’t have features like HD video conferencing that Ekiga offers. As far as the user interface is concerned, anyone familiar with Pidgin or Empathy will easily be able to use Ekiga. There’s nothing complex about the UI, just a plain, simple and old-school GNOME app. The only shortcoming is that it doesn’t integrate with the Ubuntu app menu yet, which, I hope, will be done once more people start switching from Skype to Ekiga.

ssreddy555
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ssreddy555 »

Will it work if the party at the other end uses Skype in Windows XP?

If yes, how to connect?

If it is not compatible that way, is there a Windows version of Ekiga?

lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Yeah know exactly whatcha mean. Have experienced similar problems with webcam sessions. Every time it just starts getting to the good part. They make me insert more quarters !!! D:

Sorry, lame joke attempt *face palm.

Return to “Software & Applications”