Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mongol0id
Level 1
Level 1

Vmware Workstation on Mint

Post by mongol0id »

Hello,
Im new to Linux Mint, so I dont know where to start from.
I need a virtual xp within a vmware workstation on my linux mint. Is it possible to run vmware WS on Linux mint?
Thanks for your help.

NumberSeventeen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Vmware Workstation on Mint

Post by NumberSeventeen »

Never tried it.
However, Virtualbox runs great.

mongol0id
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mongol0id »

Somebody tried vmware WS on linux mint?
There are also linux vmware setups to download, but I do not know how to install them.

mongol0id
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mongol0id »

I want to use vmware because of the better performance compared to virtualbox, is it possible to install it?

rich2005
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rich2005 »

You can install it. I have a VM 7 on a LM9 64 bit.
A VM workstation is expensive, so unless you have money to burn, or a kind employer who provides it (tax write off). Go for the VM player which is almost the same and free. I think the only difference is it only runs one virtual machine at a time.

You will need as a minimum the linux headers that correspond to your kernel from the repo. In a terminal run uname -r which will tell you what kernel you are using. Might need build-essential as well, can't remember.

Installation more or less straightforward, had a quick search for you and this looks about right.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18768/ru ... re-player/

its the same installation for player/workstation.

nasty spy app mind - always phoning home - go into root mode, run VM so you can turn off automatic updates, won't let you do it as a user.

I don't think there is much performance difference between VM and VirtualBox, VM is more mature and some things are easier to set up. A lot depends on the host machine specs.

Return to “Software & Applications”