Mint 11 and Firestarter

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
coolpup

Mint 11 and Firestarter

Post by coolpup »

A quick question. I installed Firestarter firewall to run with Mint 11. When I start Firestarter, I get an error message about the system log not being able to be opened, and no logs being kept. I've tried starting Firestarter with both "su-to-root -X -c /path/to/firester" and also using "gksu". Same results. Any suggestions on how to get logs operational?
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 11 and Firestarter

Post by chazdg24 »

I have the same issue. Any solution to the problem? Thanks.
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

Firestarter isn't a firewall, it's a GUI front end to iptables, which is the firewall. This means you only need the front end application when modifying settings, the firewall is running anyway. I moved to GUFW ages back because it's much easier to use. GUFW is a GUI front end for UFW, it allows you to simply tick a button to enable it as "deny by default", then allow per application for the odd one you need, like a torrent client.

Before you start allowing things assuming you have to, keep in mind that deny and allow are for unsolicited packets only. If you start a web browser and go to a site, the site appears just fine, because the incoming data is part of a solicited request for it from the web browser. So you shouldn't have to allow very much, if anything at all, depending on your usage.
Crivens!
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gee7 »

Same problem. I tried starting it from a terminal too and got no joy.

My Japanese keyboard and my Firestarter firewall do not work properly in Linux Mint 11, perhaps because it's based on Ubuntu, which has a habit of taking something good, breaking it, and calling that innovation. In contrast, both Firestarter and my keyboard work superbly on Linux Mint Debian.

Re Firestarter, the system log is necessary to the application, in that it shows who is trying to get into your computer, and which programs are sending data out. That's why some of us use Firestarter rather than having a firewall running unseen in the background, and having access to that data is part of a learning curve too. In order to have a working Firestarter with System Log, you could install Linux Mint Debian rather that Katya. It's developed by the same good team but has a better software base from which to work (Debian), and Firestarter and any peripherals like keyboard will work out of the box.

I have both LMD and Katya installed, but spend 99% of my time using LMD, because all the applications work so fine.
coolpup

Post by coolpup »

ThistleWeb wrote:Firestarter isn't a firewall, it's a GUI front end to iptables, which is the firewall. This means you only need the front end application when modifying settings, the firewall is running anyway. I moved to GUFW ages back because it's much easier to use. GUFW is a GUI front end for UFW, it allows you to simply tick a button to enable it as "deny by default", then allow per application for the odd one you need, like a torrent client.

Before you start allowing things assuming you have to, keep in mind that deny and allow are for unsolicited packets only. If you start a web browser and go to a site, the site appears just fine, because the incoming data is part of a solicited request for it from the web browser. So you shouldn't have to allow very much, if anything at all, depending on your usage.
I know what it is. I use Firestarter by choice, so I can see who is trying to do what with my machine.
coolpup

Post by coolpup »

Gee7 wrote:Same problem. I tried starting it from a terminal too and got no joy.

My Japanese keyboard and my Firestarter firewall do not work properly in Linux Mint 11, perhaps because it's based on Ubuntu, which has a habit of taking something good, breaking it, and calling that innovation. In contrast, both Firestarter and my keyboard work superbly on Linux Mint Debian.

Re Firestarter, the system log is necessary to the application, in that it shows who is trying to get into your computer, and which programs are sending data out. That's why some of us use Firestarter rather than having a firewall running unseen in the background, and having access to that data is part of a learning curve too. In order to have a working Firestarter with System Log, you could install Linux Mint Debian rather that Katya. It's developed by the same good team but has a better software base from which to work (Debian), and Firestarter and any peripherals like keyboard will work out of the box.

I have both LMD and Katya installed, but spend 99% of my time using LMD, because all the applications work so fine.
I'm using Mint 10 just so I can see who the wise-guys are that are banging away at my machine. Mint 11 is the only distro where I've had this problem. Oh well. 10 it is, I guess.
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gee7 »

Hello, coolpup

Just an update.
Linux Mint 11 is a pretty distro so it's worth waiting for bugs to get fixed.
Last 3 days, no time to shave, I grew a beard working at installing my Japanese keyboard and I think I fixed it at last, いいて゜すねえ ... I didn't try with Firestarter because it's it's beyond my scope but I think maybe the problem is that Firestarter can't find the system log file. Maybe it's been moved. Firestarter has always worked with Linux Mint before. Anyway, a bug report has been submitted so the problem may get solved in the not too distant future. Cheers.
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gee7 »

Keith Taylor on launchpad writes about the following workaround. Whether there are any unforeseen consequences of commenting out the lines below is probably still undergoing testing. However, none seem to have been reported so far so far, and the workaround is successful.

Open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf

(if your text editor is not Gedit but Leafpad or or Foo, substitute that editor name for “gedit”)

Comment out (delete the hash sign #) in front of the following lines:

#*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
# auth,authpriv.none;\
# cron,daemon.none;\
# mail,news.none -/var/log/messages

so that you now have:

*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
auth,authpriv.none;\
cron,daemon.none;\
mail,news.none -/var/log/messages

Save the file, close down the terminal and reboot your system.
Bob's your Uncle :D
catelee2u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catelee2u »

I'm on Mint 14 Cinammon with the same problem. Keiths workaround does stop the message popping up for me but I'm not seeing firestarter notify of me my connections to and from the computer. For example normally if I have a browser window active or something connecting out Firestarter will acknowledge this in the active connections list but it isn't.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The last release of firestarter was January 29, 2005. It is no longer maintained simply repackaged.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”