Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
julian2011
Level 1
Level 1

Install eMail Notification problems

Post by julian2011 »

Hi there. I am new to Linux. In Windows, when you click on an exe install file, it does it, no questions asked. I downloaded this program for Linux. When I click on the setup file, which is in the same folder as the other files, it gives me an error message, like this:

Archive: /home/julian/Documents/Setup.exe
[/home/julian/Documents/Setup.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/julian/Documents/Setup.exe or
/home/julian/Documents/Setup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/julian/Documents/Setup.exe.ZIP, period.

Why does it have to be so difficult to install a program in Linux Mint? I found that out with other programs I want to add.
Please help. THanks.
exaeresis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install eMail Notification problems

Post by exaeresis »

You may try, but it will never work. Simply because .exe files are for windows, and they do not work on linux. They probably would if you install wine, this is one of the few things you can do. It would be better if there is the linux "counterpart" of such a program, or something that does the same. Things are quite different on linux, you cannot expect to act on mint as you always did on windows. One of the things you will learn, or that you have to learn, is to lose the windows-mentality, this is the first step to do.
Open your terminal and write:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wine
Then double click on your program. As I said, it may not work even by doing this. What is this program you want to install? There could be something similar for linux.
Oh, and by the way, it is not difficult, it is simply different.
We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done - Alan Mathison Turing
julian2011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by julian2011 »

Thanks, exaeresis. The only reason I downloaded it, was because it was designed for Linux. The program is called Mail Notification 5.4
One of the comments it makes is:

Mail Notification pays attention to detail.
The source code is clean, secure, portable and adheres to standards (such as POP3 and IMAP).
The interface is simple, functional, respects the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines and integrates well into the GNOME Desktop Environment (though Mail Notification can also be used with KDE, Xfce and other environments).

What more can I say? If exe files don't work with Linux, why do they build a program for Linux with an exe file? That puzzles me.
I will try wine. Thanks for the hint.
exaeresis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exaeresis »

Wait, said so that is quite strange. Did you download it from the official website? Because if you downloaded it randomly from the internet it could be a virus. As you said it is for linux, so I do not see why it should be .exe. Actually, the is not any reason.
Did you download it from here http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/?
However you should be able to install it directly from terminal, in this case there are no problems, just type:

sudo apt-get install mail-notification
Can you post me the link where you found that comment? This is starting to be quite strange. Do not install the .exe until we know something more about it. You said there are more .exe files you want to install, can you please tell me, before installing them, which programs are they exactly? I thought you were talking about windows-only programs, hence wine would be the only way get them working on linux, but if they are like mail notification there is something wrong here.

EDIT: actually, the comment seems to come exactly from the website I posted. I tried to download it but there are not .exe files in there. The file I downloaded from there seems legit but, as said, there are no .exe files. I do not know where you downloaded it. If you remember, post the link.
We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done - Alan Mathison Turing
julian2011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by julian2011 »

Thanks for enlightening me on the exe subject. I had done a search on email notifier for Linux.
It came from this website:
http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
There is a link toward the bottom to download the program, version 5.4
julian.
exaeresis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exaeresis »

As I expected, I download it but there are not .exe files, it downloads a tar.bz2 archive which is correct. What I do not understand is how you got the .exe.
However as I said you should be able to install it directly from your terminal with:

sudo apt-get install mail-notification
julian2011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by julian2011 »

Thanks, exaeresis. I'll try that again when I get home from work.
julian2011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by julian2011 »

installing by sudo apparently installed the program. But when I want to configure, it doesn't do anything. There is a function where you 'add' a mailbox. There is just no reaction. I tried that several times. So then I went to the software installer and looked for email notifier within the email category. I found two of them, 'coolmail' and 'newmail'. I clicked to install. And I can see that it does. When I search for them, the system doesn't find them. Where did the data go? I'm that close to giving up on LinuxMint.
exaeresis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by exaeresis »

I am trying with LMDE, so I do not know if it is the same with Mint. Once installed, you can configure it by opening your terminal and typing:

mail-notification
A window will popup, where it says mailbox list add the program you frequently use in order to receive mails (evolution, Thunderbird etc.)
Besides that you can configure other things as you need them. Actually, I think they do not have to do anything in particular. Whenever you will receive a mail you will notice a popup windows alerting you about it. Is not that what you wanted?
julian2011
Level 1
Level 1

Post by julian2011 »

Thanks for your help again. What you are saying is that this mail-notification assumes that your mail client has been configured. There again, Windows is so different. You do not need to have a configured mail client to set up an email notifier. I had enjoyed working with Pop Peeper, for instance. Unfortunately, it's not working under Linux. Some people have been able to tweak it, but at this point I want simple things. Anyway, I'll configure Thunderbird and see what I come up with.

Return to “Software & Applications”