Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox 5.0

Post by andyz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:58 pm

I've just downloaded Firefox 5.0, extracted it, clicked the "firefox" file and voila - it runs. Then I've created an app-launcher for it.Now I wonder - was it the right way? Or have I done something wrong? If you find my questions stupid then I'd like to apologize, but I'm still a newbe.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Firefox 5.0

Post by tdockery97 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 pm

There's nothing wrong with what you did. It's just an alternative way to install, and by doing it that way you'll probably get updates directly from Mozilla. Just so you know, Firefox 5 has now shown up in Mint as an update, so you would have had it anyway.
KDE Neon

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Must say, 5.0 is working very well for me.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

Rudemeister
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rudemeister » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Yep. 5.0 was an update to Mint 11 for me and it works like a charm.

Woohoo!
HP XW8600 Work Station
Dual Quad-Core 3Ghz Xeon CPU's
32GB PC2-5300 ECC DRAM
Nvidia GT520 2G GDDR3 Graphics
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
Linux Mint 16 KDE 64-bit
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

lqdc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lqdc » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Not on LMDE... I actually only got 4.0 a couple of weeks ago, which I was really happy about.

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 am

lqdc wrote:Not on LMDE... I actually only got 4.0 a couple of weeks ago, which I was really happy about.
While it's not *exactly* Firefox 5.0 (due to lacking the official Firefox branding), you can get the latest versions of Iceweasel from here: http://mozilla.debian.net/

Or, rather, you can get the appropriate repository to add to your sources list from there in order to be able to get the latest versions of Iceweasel... I've currently added the repo for Iceweasel 6.0 on experimental and, while it's still an alpha version, I'm loving it.

If you want the officially branded Firefox 5.0, you'll either have to wait for it to enter the Mint Debian repo (since Mint seems to be maintaining the officially branded package in its own repo), or download it and install it yourself from Mozilla's website.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:43 pm

I've got FF 5.0 On Isadora 32Bit via PPA and all good here so far.

andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:31 pm

tdockery97 wrote:There's nothing wrong with what you did. It's just an alternative way to install, and by doing it that way you'll probably get updates directly from Mozilla. Just so you know, Firefox 5 has now shown up in Mint as an update, so you would have had it anyway.
Thank you very much. Firefox 5.0 really is very fast, my add-ons work, I'm satisfied :D

MarkX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MarkX » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

andyz

If you want to get the latest builds for firefox then you can do the following:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-next

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Attention though this is nightly builds.
I would also recommend in the future that you use the ppa: to get firefox. It is not that there is anything wrong with the way you did it, but here is a direct quote from Mozilla. (Linux Mint comes from Ubuntu/Debian)

"Although, Firefox 5.0 for Linux is also available from the Mozilla FTP server, it is recommended that you install it from the PPA if you are on Ubuntu. The version available in the PPA has been built for Ubuntu and supports Ubuntu specific features such as the application menu."

Now I am not so sure what then mean by that since Linux is mostly. I say that very lightly but its close enough.
I try my best to help, its all I can do.
If you remove politics from people then were all the same.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 pm

The only negative comment I have about Firefox 5.0. is that the Google Toolbar is not compatible at this time. Since I use the Google translator button on the toolbar quite frequently, this is a more than mild annoyance for me.

Others may not miss the Google Toolbar, but I am returning to Firefox 4.01 until the compatibility issue is solved.
Registered Linux User 483387

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 am

Aging Technogeek wrote:The only negative comment I have about Firefox 5.0. is that the Google Toolbar is not compatible at this time. Since I use the Google translator button on the toolbar quite frequently, this is a more than mild annoyance for me.

Others may not miss the Google Toolbar, but I am returning to Firefox 4.01 until the compatibility issue is solved.
See here re the Googlebar Lite toolbar - http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/googlebarlite/
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

MintNewBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MintNewBee » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am

I have the stable ppa enabled and am getting the error message on attempted update "error, please fix the broken packages first" so a library or something doesn;t want to play. (Mint 9 Gnome 32 bit).

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 am

Code: Select all

apt clean
apt install -f
This will fix broken packages.
Note that this is not likely to be caused by the FF5 PPA.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

netguz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by netguz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:52 pm

I had the same as MintNewBee, I'm Mint 10 64 bit, so I did AlbertP's bit and then refreshed the update manager and it was still broken! So I installed Firefox 5 from mozilla - but it was only 1 file - so I refreshed the Update Manager, did an install, and it's working perfectly.

I have no idea if I've done the right thing, or, I'm just lucky!

netguz

andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:35 pm

MarkX wrote:andyz

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

I would also recommend in the future that you use the ppa: to get firefox. It is not that there is anything wrong with the way you did it, but here is a direct quote from Mozilla. (Linux Mint comes from Ubuntu/Debian)

"Although, Firefox 5.0 for Linux is also available from the Mozilla FTP server, it is recommended that you install it from the PPA if you are on Ubuntu. The version available in the PPA has been built for Ubuntu and supports Ubuntu specific features such as the application menu."

Now I am not so sure what then mean by that since Linux is mostly. I say that very lightly but its close enough.
Thanks MarkX, so far my Firefox 5.0 works without a glitch. I get the updates directly from Mozilla, my favorite add-ons are OK, I haven't experienced even the slightest instability. Nevertheless, you are of course right when you suggest PPA as the right solution. Have a nice day :)

trophymick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trophymick » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:21 am

Has anyone had a problem with printing to file (PDF)?
I sometimes print a web page to file, but Firefox goes through the motions but nothing appears.

Is it a bug, is there a work around?

As a aside, it works fine with Chromium, but I prefer Firefox! :mrgreen:

Mick

Bob E
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob E » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:14 pm

MarkX wrote: If you want to get the latest builds for firefox then you can do the following:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Thanks MarkX. This worked perfectly for me.

I tried this method (link below) but it wouldn't "find" the file to move when I entered "sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox".
http://www.johannes-eva.net/how-to-inst ... untu-linux

slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:05 am

lqdc wrote:Not on LMDE... I actually only got 4.0 a couple of weeks ago, which I was really happy about.
MarkX wrote:andyz

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

karashata wrote:
While it's not *exactly* Firefox 5.0 (due to lacking the official Firefox branding), you can get the latest versions of Iceweasel from here: http://mozilla.debian.net/

Or, rather, you can get the appropriate repository to add to your sources list from there in order to be able to get the latest versions of Iceweasel... I've currently added the repo for Iceweasel 6.0 on experimental and, while it's still an alpha version, I'm loving it.

If you want the officially branded Firefox 5.0, you'll either have to wait for it to enter the Mint Debian repo (since Mint seems to be maintaining the officially branded package in its own repo), or download it and install it yourself from Mozilla's website.
LMDE running Firefox-7.0a1 Nightly- installed locally.
FF7.0a1.png
FF7.0a1.png (507.95 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Which is available Here along with checksums (which give you about the same security as repos do) in case you need them.

There is no reason that you can NOT run any version that you want guys and gals. Some of us have covered this in posts before. Please do a search.

The main thing that you wanna do if you are going to install/run different versions side-by-side is use to Firefox profile manager, have it start every time, and make a new profile for each version that you are running. Choose the corresponding profile that matches the version that you want to run and you are set. This will prevent program contamination between versions/most-plugins.

Keep the command path straight up and use profile manager you should have no issues. If you do simply delete the version directory or ask for help.

No tampering or changing of PPA's, sources.list, distro dependencies, etc are needed so there is nothing to fix if a particular version does not work for you.

@ "The OP" (andyz)

***using a Sith Lord type voice from Star Wars*** "Well done Lord andyz!" :wink:

S :D
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain

rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rhY » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 am

Firefox 5 is all good here except for one thing, I can't drag and arrange bookmarks. Major pain in the ass.

ShyGuy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ShyGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:39 pm

With Firefox 5, I am finally able to run the WebGL Aquarium demo http://webglsamples.googlecode.com/hg/a ... arium.html

Return to “Software & Applications”