Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ido1
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox + LinuxMint

Post by ido1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi,

I am a new and happy user of linuxmint and after playing some I have installed VirtualBox just to see if it will work on my os. It does and it does it great!
My toshiba A-65 only has a 512 memory, so I did try a very small linux dist. DSL -3.2.iso, that is about 80 mb. Everything works beautifully. For that purpose I downloaded the virtualbox package for ubuntu edgy .

I like to know how well it works linuxmint on linuxmint. Just curiosity.

Ido

cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cool_gamer8119 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:09 pm

one quick question... what is virtualbox?
linux mint!

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:33 pm

cool_gamer8119 wrote:one quick question... what is virtualbox?
Feel free to use the search functions here ... it saves you from asking embarassing questions :wink:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679

cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cool_gamer8119 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:55 am

sorry... should have posted sooner! i found the virtualbox download and got it and i LOVE IT!!!

quick question 2 :wink: :wink: :wink: ... does it install like say i run LinuxMint on it, will it install it on my HDD??? how does virtualbox run an os?
linux mint!

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:08 pm

cool_gamer8119 wrote:quick question 2 :wink: :wink: :wink: ... does it install like say i run LinuxMint on it, will it install it on my HDD??? how does virtualbox run an os?
It creates a "virtual disk", basically one very large file. I think it should be somewhere in the .Virtualbox directory, inside your own home directory. It doesn't create any real partitions on your hard drive.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:02 pm

By the way Scorp123, I've been using VirtualBox since you mentioned it here on the forums, and I absolutely love it. It saves me a lot of time and I'm using it now to test generated ISO files of Bianca.

Clem

cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cool_gamer8119 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:32 pm

awesome! just what i needed to know! i can run mint on xp and try to make it work!!

that will save time!

the only problem is that i wanted to try vista with it but i have really bad mem... 256mb and so i read that it will not install without 512mb. Plus the host would need some more mem for itself to work! :roll: :roll: :roll: Stupid Vista... resource hog for no good use... linux is better :wink: :wink:

and scorp123, (man is this like the 4th time i edited this post in 2 mins?)
i am using Windows for VB only because of internet problems with Mint... i am using VB to fix it, so (this is the 5th edit!! AAH) where would the file be then?
and do i "install" mint the same way as usual on VB??
linux mint!

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:29 pm

clem wrote:By the way Scorp123, I've been using VirtualBox since you mentioned it here on the forums, and I absolutely love it. It saves me a lot of time and I'm using it now to test generated ISO files of Bianca.
Yes, it's fast like hell. 8)

@Coolgamer: ... Sorry dude, I didn't get your message. But maybe I am just too tired? It's like 2:00 in the morning here ... I'll have to do a shutdown -h now :wink:

cool_gamer8119
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cool_gamer8119 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:53 pm

sorry, it is a little much, i kept having spur of the moment ideas that i kept putting in and so about 5 edits later (better than 5 separate posts) it became a hole of complete crud spewing out mountainous piles of confusion...

kinda crazy, i know...
linux mint!

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:52 pm

cool_gamer8119 wrote:and do i "install" mint the same way as usual on VB??
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/create-and-ma ... albox.html

PiEp
Level 1
Level 1

VMWare?

Post by PiEp » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:19 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Virtualbox essentially do the same as VMWare Server, which is also free? Can anybody tell me why I should use one or the other? In other words, how do they compare?

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: VMWare?

Post by scorp123 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:11 am

PiEp wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Virtualbox essentially do the same as VMWare Server, which is also free?
VirtualBox is available under the GPL. VMware still is closed source.
PiEp wrote: Can anybody tell me why I should use one or the other? In other words, how do they compare?
The "free" VMware Server only allows you to take one single snapshot of your virtual machine (no such limit in the expensive ESX version or in the commercial VMware Workstation releases!), VirtualBox doesn't have such a limit. Also, every time you do something to your kernel (e.g. a patch) it's necessary to execute vmware-config.pl, vmware-config-mui.pl and maybe a bunch of other scripts that will compile a bunch of VMware modules to adapt to the new kernel or else VMware will stop working. So far I haven't experienced such limitations with VirtualBox, they only use one single module and that's it, no need to mess around with it. For bridging VMware has to rely on functions provided by it's running modules and its own background daemons whereas VirtualBox uses standard Linux shell utilities for this. This allows for some interesting fine-tuning and experimenting "on the fly": open a shell and fire away. No such thing in VMware: you always need to go through the configure process.

And now that VirtualBox is open source I'd expect that features get added to it very fast and that it maybe in 1-2 years will surpass VMware's abilities and capabilities.

But nobody forces you to use VirtualBox ... if you're a happy VMware user and everything works for you ... well: don't fix it if it ain't broken, as the saying goes :wink:

PiEp
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Post by PiEp » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks for the quick reply, scorp.

I was not saying I prefer VMWare. Actually, I have experienced the same config-cycle several times and wasn't too happy with it. And after your comparison, I think I'll give VirtualBox a try. :D

Wrenchtamer

Re: VirtualBox + LinuxMint

Post by Wrenchtamer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I was wondering about something. I have recently installed linuxmint and am very satisfied with it. I would like to install a virtualbox type program and run windows vista as a virtual program under the linux umbrella. My question is this. Windows vista came preloaded on my machine and I hate it. If I could do away with it completely and save all of my data and continue to run my programs I would. But without a hard copy of windows vista is it possible for me to create the virtual environment and then move my current windows partition into the linux one without reloading from disk? It seems like it should be possible but Im not a true techie like you guys. Any help is appreciated.

atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:02 am

You can convert your already installed Windows and run it in VMWare. Take a look at this tutorial.

atlef.

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:10 pm

Wrenchtamer wrote:I was wondering about something. I have recently installed linuxmint and am very satisfied with it. I would like to install a virtualbox type program and run windows vista as a virtual program under the linux umbrella. My question is this. Windows vista came preloaded on my machine and I hate it. If I could do away with it completely and save all of my data and continue to run my programs I would. But without a hard copy of windows vista is it possible for me to create the virtual environment and then move my current windows partition into the linux one without reloading from disk? It seems like it should be possible but Im not a true techie like you guys. Any help is appreciated.
Wrenchtamer I'm using Mint as my host and run XP in a virtual machine. Never tried to play games. Probably wouldn't do good. But, I made a share folder on my Mint and let XP point to it. So when I want to transfer files. I just use this folder to do it.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:59 am

ido1 wrote:Hi,
I am a new and happy user of linuxmint and after playing some I have installed VirtualBox just to see if it will work on my os. It does and it does it great!
My toshiba A-65 only has a 512 memory, so I did try a very small linux dist. DSL -3.2.iso, that is about 80 mb. Everything works beautifully. For that purpose I downloaded the virtualbox package for ubuntu edgy .
I like to know how well it works linuxmint on linuxmint. Just curiosity.
Ido
Based on the minimum system requirements for Mint:
What are recommended system requirements? To install Linux Mint 6, you will need minimum 512 MB of RAM (however, the system will work very well with 256 MB of RAM after installation). Be aware that the installation may hang if you have less than 512 MB of RAM.
I don't think it will work. If you split your actual memory in half to 256 MB then neither your host nor your guest will have enough memory to function.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”