Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rapman543
Level 1
Level 1

mintupdate help please

Post by rapman543 »

I didn't update for some time and then I decided that I wanted too. I pressed the icon on the launch bar then this pop up came.

ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR
E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_katya_import_i18n_Translation-en, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Can somebody please help me? I enjoy the LinuxMint operating system, but its just not workin out right now.
lmintnewb

Re: mintupdate help please

Post by lmintnewb »

Summin you can try that should have potential.

Open terminal type the following commands.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

See if that clears up update managers hissy fit. :D

Coupla of things, those commands will update all the packages installed on your system to the lastest available in the repos. Adding that && to it tells nix to run the next command if the 1st one given is successfully completed. It will take a lil while to finish. Would think it'll sort your problem out for ya.

disclaimer: All advice given by lmintnewb is without express or implied warranty. Don't let the meaningless orange rank bars fool ya. I have been known to advise people to do stuff that breaks their computers through nix newbishness. Though always with good intentions. I take absolutely no responsibility for problems caused by any advice I give ... EVER. Proceed at your own risk !!! D:

lol ... pretty much just messing around with that. In a dorkish mood. Those commands won't break your stuff ... Betting it should fix your issues. (edit) Well very well could ... Either way ... if it doesn't you'll be no worse off afterwards.
rapman543
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rapman543 »

thanks so much! trying it now... sorry for taking so long to thank. i didnt think my question would be answered so quickly!
Mitja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mitja »

I suggest that you re-download Linux Mint DVD Version and re-install the whole OS.

the error was prob. created when the OS was installed
mrjoeyman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrjoeyman »

disclaimer: All advice given by lmintnewb is without express or implied warranty. Don't let the meaningless orange rank bars fool ya. I have been known to advise people to do stuff that breaks their computers through nix newbishness. Though always with good intentions. I take absolutely no responsibility for problems caused by any advice I give ... EVER. Proceed at your own risk !!! D:
LOL love this disclaimer.........

Return to “Software & Applications”