Best office application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flyingbird

Best office application

Post by flyingbird »

I am newly migrated from windows. I have a desktop and a netbook. I am running LM11 on both and find them very nice. I am a design student and I have to do lot of text formatting and presentation making. I find libre office very basic and don't see many of the features which are there in MS office 2010. This is the only reason why I have to run my system in dual boot and I have to go to windows every-time I have to make a fancy presentation. May be, I have not explored the libre office properly but before getting into that I would appreciate if somebody could tell me about best application for presentation and word processing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Best office application

Post by xenopeek »

If you need to make professional looking documents, hard to beat Scribus on Linux. (I'm assuming you want desktop page layout, as you indicate you are a design student--or didn't you mean graphic design?) Scribus is in the repositories, so you can install it through Software Manager.

As an example of what it can do, here is a list of magazines made with Scribus: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Made_with_Scribus
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Scribus is desktop publishing, Microsoft Office doesn't do that, it's comparing apples and pears. Scribus is more of an alternative to Adobe InDesign. For most people Libre Office is more than enough for what they need, it's just a bit different. For a small minority who do need advanced Microsoft Office features, there really isn't any alternative. Perhaps try a virtual PC with Windows and Microsoft Office installed on it for those situations.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You can install MS Office 2007 in Linux Mint with wine.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

What, exactly, do you find "basic" about Libreoffice? What is it you want to do that it doesn't do?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
flyingbird

Post by flyingbird »

xenopeek wrote:If you need to make professional looking documents, hard to beat Scribus on Linux. (I'm assuming you want desktop page layout, as you indicate you are a design student--or didn't you mean graphic design?) Scribus is in the repositories, so you can install it through Software Manager.

As an example of what it can do, here is a list of magazines made with Scribus: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Made_with_Scribus
hey thanks for the info, I will download that too but my original issue is making presentations.
I am a product design student not graphic design but Scribus will definitely be helpful.
Thanks again.
flyingbird

Post by flyingbird »

proxima_centauri,
ThistleWeb
I feel that is the only alternative left now :(
I loved mint so much that I cannot leave it :)
Thanks.
flyingbird

Post by flyingbird »

Midnighter wrote:What, exactly, do you find "basic" about Libreoffice? What is it you want to do that it doesn't do?
First of all I miss ribbons layout which was very helpful.
Features like changing layouts/designs was much more intuitive in MS office and design library was very vast. I cannot pen down each and every feature but definitely there is a lot difference between these two.

Return to “Software & Applications”