Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MyWorld
Level 1
Level 1

Multiple keyboard layout not wanted

Post by MyWorld »

I installed Mint 11 and during installation chose my location as South Africa, so it was applied system wide. No problem so far.

The problem comes with the keyboard layout - I'm using a UK keyboard and no matter how I try and change it in the keyboard layout settings it keeps reverting back to South Africa layout (US keyboard) on reboot.

On top of that I now get the keyboard layout selector in the notifications area with two layout profiles, and again, if I remove the offending layout it just reappears on the next reboot, and it is driving me nuts!

Any help out there to permanently remove the one layout and keep the UK keyboard layout?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Multiple keyboard layout not wanted

Post by xenopeek »

Go to Menu -> Control Center -> Keyboard, then Layouts tab. Press the Add... button, and add United Kingdom. Now press Move Up, to bring the newly added United Kingdom to the top so it becomes the default. Click to Apply System-Wide... Reboot. At the login screen make sure you also select the United Kingdom layout at the bottom of the screen in the selection box, when you are asked to enter your password. If all goes well, you should now have United Kingdom fully active as keyboard layout. Now you can remove USA.

Return to “Software & Applications”