Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kristhor
Level 2
Level 2

spotify dependency problem [Solved]

Post by kristhor »

Hi, I just installed Mint 11 Gnome on my laptop. Had Mint 10 before and installed spotify without problems. Now I get this error when trying to install spotify-client-gnome-support:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
spotify-client-gnome-support : Depends: spotify-client-qt (= 1:0.5.2.84.g6d797eb-1) but 1:0.6.1.309.gb871a7d-1 is to be installed

anyone see this before??
Last edited by kristhor on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: spotify dependency problem

Post by Roken »

TBH I haven't seen a working native Linux spotify client - I just go with the Windows one using wine, which has no problems.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
kristhor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kristhor »

My experience is quite the opposite. Ive installed it on all my linux computers and friends computers and works flawlessly. Before the linux client I used it under wine and it was freezing up alot. This is the first time I have an issue installing it!! But notice that you need a premium account for it to work on linux.
skugge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skugge »

As of last week, both Linux native and Windows under Wine Spotify refuse to work on my pc. I've used the Windows under Wine out of old habit untill now, and have had no problems in the 2 years I've used it. Synaptic says Gnome support is broken for the native. I had to install Android version to get Spotify up and running. I have Debian Mint (LMDE) on my computer. And no, I haven't touched any settings. =)
kristhor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kristhor »

Spotify works just fine, there is just some mismatch in the packages so I didnt install the spotify-client-gnome-support, only the spotify-client-qt package. I just dont have the gnome support which means i dont get the little icon down on the right and dont have the same control over it through gnome. And for some reason I have to log in every time i start it as it cant seem to remember the login. Its just an annnoyance, spotify runs just fine under linux without wine. I just wanted the gnome support with it. There was a similar problem about a year ago as spotify screwed up the packages somehow. But seems like no one here has much experience with spotify. So I guess Ill just wait until they fix the packages and just run it without the gnome support which is not a big deal.
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Hi

If anyone is interested, the qt version works fine on my laptop, running LMDE pointing at Latest (Update #3). Unfortunately it gives a segmentation fault on my desktop PC which is running Isadora. I haven't been able to solve this, despite trying various solutions offered by folks in forums about the place, like deleting the cache or config files or running it from the terminal with sudo.

The dependency problem with gnome support is a bit of a red herring, IMHO as the qt version works well when it works.

The whole Spotify for Linux situation seems to be a right mess- a bit of googling will show that there are lots of unsatisfied (paying) customers out there who, like us, want to use a native Linux client, but about whom Spotify don't seem to give a toss.

:x
kristhor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kristhor »

its been a while now and Im only running the spotify client without the gnome support package and everything is running smoothly and has for a while now. I guess there is no need for the gnome support package. It seems you dont need it at all for the icon on the panel etc. Its basically running the same way as when it was working under both packages.
kristhor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kristhor »

All is back to normal and has been working well in the last few months, no problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”