Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bergamot
Level 1
Level 1

Network Manager Issue

Post by bergamot »

I've got Mint 11 x64 Main Edition. Newly installed.

Noticed that occasionally my DSL is disconnected, however all hardware is in normal state. After that, I can't establish the connection because Network Manager no longer sees my hardware.

And when I have been running Mint 10, there was no such problem. So I think this is not a hardware issue, there's something wrong with this app.

Does anyone have any ideas how to help me? The only way I see it I must downgrade to Mint 10 back... :?

Thanks for your feedback.

DeMus

Re: Network Manager Issue

Post by DeMus »

Can you describe what hardware you have? How are you connected to the internet? Is the computer directly connected to your modem or do you have a router in between them?
If it is only a modem how is it connected, through ethernet or USB? Do you have DHCP activated or do you use fixed addresses? Please give as much information as possible.

bergamot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bergamot »

OK. This is what a command lshw tells me when network works as usual:

Code: Select all

bergamot@HP-Pavilion ~ $ lshw -c network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-network DISABLED      
       description: Wireless interface
       product: AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter
       vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 01
       serial: 00:24:2b:07:b7:da
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k driverversion=2.6.38-8-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
       resources: irq:17 memory:91200000-9120ffff
  *-network
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 02
       serial: 00:23:8b:52:87:ba
       size: 100Mbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full latency=0 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
       resources: irq:45 ioport:2000(size=256) memory:91010000-91010fff memory:91000000-9100ffff memory:91020000-9102ffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
You can see there is wireless adapter disabled - it's OK because I switched it off manually. However, sometimes -- and I noticed it happens when I left my laptop for hour or maybe more -- sometimes Ethernet controller becomes disabled. And I have no idea why and how to switch it on again.

I've got DSL modem that connected to telephone line and my laptop via standard Ethernet cable. Sorry, I don't know what DHCP means. :( I hope this information can show you some picture.

bergamot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bergamot »

So, is there anybody who can help me?

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arcosanti »

You can try another network manager to see if it is really the network manager such as wicd for instance. If it is the network manager then hopefully a new manager will fix the issue. If that doesn't fix it then you will probably want to take a look at the wireless and ethernet drivers themselves. I can't say for sure, but it's possible the drivers are unloading if they are compiled as modules. If you are using native drivers, you could try ndiswrappers to run windows drivers in place of the native drivers. That's pretty much all I can think of that you can try to fix this situation. DHCP means Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol and is how your ISP communicates network settings to your equipment. It is only used for internet accounts were the IP address is different everytime you connect to the internet. If the IP address is always the same, then DHCP is not needed and you would just put in the network settings that your ISP gave to you into the network manager and leave it.

bergamot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bergamot »

Oh, thanks for the response. Maybe I'll try to remove Network Manager and use Wicd.

Return to “Software & Applications”