Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

the real reason for low priority in amule

Post by Katyanewb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:27 pm

I forget the exact phrase that amule uses, but when I connect to servers I get a low rating. Amule speculates that this is because I'm behind a firewall or using a router, but I have a feeling it's something else. When configuring amule before connecting for the first time, I changed the default shared files directory to a directory I created in my home folder--and when installing Katya I had my home folder encrypted. So I'm thinking that maybe amule can't make the files in that shared directory available to potential leeches because the directory, like its containing folder, is encrypted. Does that make sense?

Another possible reason I get a low rating is that my shared directory is currently empty since I haven't downloaded anything yet. I'm going to try putting some files in it to see whether it helps.

Any feedback from amule veterans would be appreciated.

Anakinholland
Level 3
Level 3

Re: the real reason for low priority in amule

Post by Anakinholland » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Katyanewb wrote:So I'm thinking that maybe amule can't make the files in that shared directory available to potential leeches because the directory, like its containing folder, is encrypted. Does that make sense?
Nope, not at all :)

aMule itself does nothing whatsoever with file-systems or encryptions. It just tells the operating system "Hey you, I want access to /home/whatever", then the OS will check whether or not the requested location exists, if the access-rights on that location will permit the request and tell the application yes or no. :)

I think aMule is right in their statement, usually when you're using P2P-software and don't utilize uPnP (which in my mind is a good idea) you need to manually forward certain TCP/UDP-ports from the router to the PC, so peers can actually connect.

aMule itself has a nice Wiki-entry on the matter.
Here's a website you can use to look up how portforwarding works on your brand and model router.

Regards,

Anakin
Please Edit your initial post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

Return to “Software & Applications”