Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
konasteph
Level 1
Level 1

Lisa: where did the printer menus go?

Post by konasteph »

All LOOKS well ptrinters install automatically, GREAT,
But now: am I the only one that hasn't found out how to access printer options??? How am I supposed to tell my graphics printer what paper I am using so that it can adjust print density ???? It all worked fine under Katya Gnome 2 ...All I have is the printbutton now...I don't see also how to change drivers THIS IS UNUSABLE.

If thats how its going to be then Katya was a brunette, but Lisa is definitely a blonde.

I am going back to LMDE which by the way, is superb. Dont ever go to Gnome 3, in my opinion, at least, unless someone sheds some light how to SHARE a printer, and how to go into printer options, in Lisa, which is now updated and stable, I hear.
I see no button for printer options, and printer sharing, all dialogs are sort of "ECONOMY" in Lisa., (Samba is working, filesharing is ok, cups sharing I have not tried, but if I cannot adjust printer options, why bother????)

I hope this will be only a temporary setback, ... Linux 3 is not to blame, I am running it in LMDE, Gnome 3 needs some tweaks, or documentation, probably both.
Thanks folks!
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lisa: where did the printer menus go?

Post by Kilz »

Gnome shell is still in its infancy, there will hopefully be more added over time. Until then you can access the cups interface in your browser and change a lot more settings. Open a browser and type in localhost:631 and hit enter.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
konasteph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by konasteph »

Thank you for help with cups remote printing setup. (Localhost:631) ..after the last update the printer menu appeared (preferences), so at least this functionality is now there. HOWEVER..the printqueue is unstoppable, try as you may, how do you cancel printjobs, I see only suspend, resume, but no delete. Also, the printmenu has no sharing option. (xcept try cups remote printing)
Infancy or not, these are important productivity items.
Right now I am not using Lisa as a production platform (for these and other reasons) but I am using LMDE. If, however, LMDE will roll into a state where some menu items disappear and become unusable, through the ongoing updating process, I fear that the disappointment about LM will be noted in the community. Gnome 3 is not, as of yet, a disappointment such as Unity, I think it is quite good, actually, but flexibility and functionality are not quite what they should be,
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz »

The problem we all face though is that every gnome based distro has moved or will move to gnome 3 at some point. I agree its much better than the disaster that is Unity. But its still new and it will get work, everything matures over time.
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
Strabilla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Strabilla »

yes, but meanwhile I've totally failed with Ubuntu 11.1; spent a whole day sorting it out and loading mint; now I can't get the printer to work. Sometimes I really feel like defecting back the MS empire.
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz »

Strabilla wrote:yes, but meanwhile I've totally failed with Ubuntu 11.1; spent a whole day sorting it out and loading mint; now I can't get the printer to work. Sometimes I really feel like defecting back the MS empire.
Open a browser and type in

Code: Select all

localhost:631
and hit enter, enter your username and password you log in with, go to the Administration tab. click Add Printer.
64bit Linux Powered

Return to “Software & Applications”