Before you post please read how to get help
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 12 - couple of questions [SOLVED]

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded Katya to Lisa and have a couple of questions:

1. Mint Fortunes - they are really a nice part of Linux Mint but I don't see them showing in the Terminal when I launch it. I executed '/usr/bin/mint-fortune' but nothing appears. Any suggestions how I can activate mint fortune messages?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
OK, #1 is SOLVED by editing /usr/bin/mint-fortune line:

Code: Select all

#if [ -x "/usr/bin/gconftool-2" ]; then
#    showfortunes=`gconftool-2 --get /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes $
#    if [ "$showfortunes" == "true" ]; then        
        show_fortune
#    fi
#fi
and adding call to /usr/bin/mint-fortune in /etc/bash.bashrc

but #2 issue is still unresolved :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Weather Applet. I switched to Gnome Classic view but I still can't find a way to add a weather applet to the task bar. Any suggestions how can this be accomplished?

Thanks,
Victor.
Last edited by victorsk on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 12 - couple of questions

Post by RHTopics »

There is a simpler way to your first question.

It is an utility program named "Desktop Settings" which can be used to turn on "Show fortune cookies". From the menu it is located in the "Other" submenu.

coolpup

Post by coolpup »

victorsk wrote: 2. Weather Applet. I switched to Gnome Classic view but I still can't find a way to add a weather applet to the task bar. Any suggestions how can this be accomplished?
I switched from the "regular" Gnome to classic to take a look. Did you want a weather applet other than the one that's part of the clock? If not, right-click on the clock, click on Preferences, and then go to location. It should look like this:

[img]http://i1102.removed/albums/g458/c ... .png[/img]

Type in the first few letters of the city/town you're in, or the closest one that might be known, and you should get a list of places starting with the letters you typed in. Pick where you're at and then click on Add. Then click on the Weather tab to adjust things to your liking.

Hope that helps. :)

victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 12 - couple of questions [SOLVED]

Post by victorsk »

Hi coolpup,

Thank you for this advice. This approach worked :D

However, I followed instructions from on http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/install- ... nsion.html but that particular weather extension doesn't seem to appear on the task bar. But it's ok, it doesn't have to be fancy anyways.

Thanks again,
Victor.

chasmc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chasmc »

RHTopics wrote:There is a simpler way to your first question.

It is an utility program named "Desktop Settings" which can be used to turn on "Show fortune cookies". From the menu it is located in the "Other" submenu.
Looks like the best answer, there.

That didn't work for me so I did the following with success:

Code: Select all

chas@machinename$ gconftool-2 --set --type=bool /desktop/linuxmint/terminal/show_fortunes "true"
then the mint-fortune command worked as well as when opening new terminal windows.

It was linuxmint 12 Lisa

:)

Return to “Software & Applications”