Standalone old style MintMenu for Mint 12

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aethyr

Standalone old style MintMenu for Mint 12

Post by Aethyr »

Hello all

I'm wondering whether it's possible to make the old MintMenu standalone/portable over to GNOME 3. I understand that development for MintMenu is focused on MATE right now, or the Menu extension of MGSE, but I really want the old MintMenu in my GNOME 3 (non-Shell) session. I'll illustrate my example with Cardapio, the only other decent "chunky" menu that is non-KDE based. Currently, if you add the Cardapio PPA, you get the option of a Cardapio AWN/Docky extension which works perfectly with those docks no matter what. I'm proposing to do something similar with MintMenu so that it can be run across multiple environments. In a sense, it has already been done in LMDE-Xfce, where you can use the mint panel applets to get Gnome 2 panel applets in the xfce panel - maybe we could do the same for AWN/Cairo?

There is a MintMenu extension applet for Cairo Dock, but that fails completely in GNOME 3 as it cannot find the MintMenu. I'm already getting annoyed with Cardapio and the mousing menus, I want my MintMenu back.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Standalone old style MintMenu for Mint 12

Post by remoulder »

Mintmenu has not been ported to gnome 3 at this time I believe.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I know MintMenu is supposedly being ported over to MGSE, but what I'm saying is, I would like to see it become standalone so it can be used in GNOME 3, the non-shell environment, the one for people who need to work on their computers and not just d*ck around with fancy dysfunctional overviews... Or any other decent desktop for that matter. Hence I gave the example of Cardapio; What use is a Shell extension when Shell is a useless environment?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Gnome 3's fallback mode is somewhat limited, it might not be able to run the MintMenu of Gnome 2 or Mate.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

That's right. It's GTK3 and D-Bus, not GTK2 and Bonobo compatibility layer.
Clem wrote:The fallback mode is not here to stay. The plan is for Gnome Shell to work with a larger set of hardware and for the fallback mode to disappear.

In terms of UI, the fallback mode is something nobody wants. Gnome 3 enthusiasts don't like its Gnome2-like design. Gnome 2 fans hate the fact that it simply doesn't work. Of course, it works.... but it looks like it doesn't work. And the reason for this is simple... it looks and gives people the impression they're running Gnome 2, only they're not. They're actually running Gnome 3 on top of GTK3 and without compatibility with Bonobo and panel applets. Once the user understands he can use the Alt key to interact with the panel, he gets a bit of false hopes... until he goes further and realize no Bonobo Gnome applet will run on this Fallback mode. To Mint users, basically, that means no mintMenu.
- taken from this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=23
HellMan

Post by HellMan »

MintMenu works perfectly on gnome3! (without SHELL at least).
If you run mintmenu from console, a new window appears. All it's features look nicely!
This is really disappointing - it will be very very cool if it can be integrated into the panel...

I don't know much about gnome3 panels, and I hate it's unconfigurability. So if anyone knows how to integrate already working mintmenu into panel, I'll appreciate it much!

Thank you.
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

HellMan wrote:MintMenu works perfectly on gnome3! (without SHELL at least).
If you run mintmenu from console, a new window appears. All it's features look nicely!
This is really disappointing - it will be very very cool if it can be integrated into the panel...

I don't know much about gnome3 panels, and I hate it's unconfigurability. So if anyone knows how to integrate already working mintmenu into panel, I'll appreciate it much!

Thank you.
This isn't MintMenu working in GNOME 3, this is you calling the MATE Mintmenu applet and all the libraries etc. it needs from the terminal; If you actually read the output of your terminal, it tells you that. And I was well aware of this before I made this thread. Moreover, it does nothing to help the situation, which you have probably noticed.

Once more: There is a Cardapio AWN Extension that depends only on AWN and runs on any environment. Why can't we do something similar with Mintmenu? Forget about GNOME 3 and its fallback or whatever.

Return to “Software & Applications”