Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Gnome Do - amazing app!

Post by belovedmonster »

There's a super powerful application launcher on the Mac called Quicksilver which lets you do just about anything you would wanna do on your Mac from moving files, to sending emails, to controlling iTunes, all with just a few keystrokes that is way faster than using GUI yet remains super simple to use.

Wanting something similar for Mint tonight I have been looking at an app called Gnome-Do which is obviously highly inspired by Quicksilver (some might say derivative) but since Quicksilver for Linux is exactly what I wanted this thing looks really promising.

Heres a demo video which shows a really dull example of what you can (look up definitions of words) but it at least shows you what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zij7MuY29Ww

Rather than the dull word lookup instead imaging typing in the first few letters of "The White Album" then hitting enter and Gnome Do will start playing that album for you in your default music app. Or imagine typing in "Email", enter, "Clem" and in the space of half a second you have brought up Thunderbird and a new email with Clem's address already in there.

What is great is all the commands you type in are super straight forward, stuff like "search for", "mute", "email"; stuff that even inexperienced computer users can get the hang off, and even greater yet is the fact you dont even need to type the whole thing, just enough for the command or file you want to come up. So "web" is all you need to write to make the "search the web" icon to come up, "Rhy" is all you will need to bring up Rhythmbox and so on.

Quicksilver on the Mac is really powerful and can do so much more than simply opening apps and files, but since Gnome Do also seems to be plugin based and is still adding more features there's no reason why Gnome-Do wont be able to do insanely cool stuff like Quicksilver as well. I'd love to see it in Mint 5 by default. In fact unless Gnome Do is really buggy or makes Linux Mint explode then I demand it be included in Mint 5 :mrgreen:

Application website is: http://do.davebsd.com/

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gnome Do - amazing app!

Post by belovedmonster »

No one interested?

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Kynan wrote:the black theme looks a tad out of place but who really cares ;)
I totally disagree, I think it looks really nice regardless how you have Gnome set to appear. Either way its open source, so no reason why you wont be able to customise it how you want.

goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by goldstar1 »

wow! I like this. I think I am a little lazy. It's a lot faster in starting programs than using a mouse.
good program!

BladeNet

Post by BladeNet »

It looks and sounds nice, but it's a mono app :(
I can't have those, at least not until i get a pc powerful as the one on the video :roll:

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I was waiting until someone would mention its a Mono app and then everyone could run away and swear never to use it. Frankly, Quicksilver is such a good app that I'm willing to put up with Mono on Linux to get similar functionality with Gnome Do.

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

I installed it and I really like it!

Though I don't really get how you can adjust settings for actions etc. For example, even though I have the thunderbird and pidgin plugins installed it doesn't work at all to just type a contacts name and start writing an email or a chat message. Any ideas?

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

BladeNet wrote:How much ram is it using, when it's sleeping ?
29MB

Why?

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

29MB

Why?

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Sorry for posting the same so many times. It wasn't meant like that. Something was weird either with my connection or computer or the forum itself. :?

Anyway, does anyone know how to tweak gnome do? suddenly it started using konqueror for opening folders and i'd like it to keep to nautilus.

Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rob Loach »

I like it! For those of you who are too lazy to find the website yourself, it's at GNOME Do.

JpBя
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JpBя »

I absolutely agree! I've been using Gnome Do for a while, and I can't live without it anymore. As far as the appearance goes, it actually automatically chooses one of its themes to match your gtk theme's color scheme.

Return to “Software & Applications”