Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tech0tot
Level 1
Level 1

Passwording FOLDERS Rather than FILES.

Post by tech0tot »

By right-clicking on a selection or a single file in a Standard install of Mint 10, I get the option to "compress", which is good. I can password the contents from extraction or viewing when double-clicking - again good.

But what if I want to stop the user from viewing the contents at all?

In other words, when the user double-clicks the ZIP or 7z file, the password box would appear at THAT time, or when they opened the compressed file and double-clicked the top level folder.

Example:

I have a tree structure as follows:

Top Tier Folder contains Second Tier Folders with between 3-5 folders inside.

These 3-5 Second Tier Folders each contain many files.

Using this structure, "normally" compressing the TOP Tier Folder folder with a password would only apply the password to the contents of the Second Tier Folders. Users can still VIEW THE FILE NAMES in those folders. The password only prevents the files from extraction or viewing the CONTENTS.

Is there a way to stop them viewing the contents at all, so that when they open the compressed file, the password box appears when they double-click the TOP Folder?

Can't find much about this through Google - New Linux user for about 12 months.
tech0tot
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Passwording FOLDERS Rather than FILES.

Post by tech0tot »

I've since found a clunky way to do this : Double password archiving, i.e. archiving the directory (regular or password protected) and then archiving this archive (this time password protected). This way the file-list won't be visible. Not an elegant solution, but unless there's a better alternative .....

http://tinyurl.com/Password-Archive-Files
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Try googling for "file permissions and ownerships in linux." There are tons of sites that explain how this security model works. It's another way of securing your files and folders from prying eyes.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
tech0tot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tech0tot »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:Try googling for "file permissions and ownerships in linux." There are tons of sites that explain how this security model works. It's another way of securing your files and folders from prying eyes.
Many thanks, but my query was for compressed files. What I didn't make clear was these files are burnt to BLUERAY and DVDs, and are available to third parties, should they choose to be nosy and break rules. The solution I found above - while time consuming provides sufficient protection for the casual snoop.

:)
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by conslie »

You may find Truecrypt does what you need. It can encrypt a whole partition, or turn a whole directory into a single encrypted file. You will need to run Truecrypt to access the device or file, of course.

Return to “Software & Applications”