Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jrw45
Level 1
Level 1

MIDI - The mystery program

Post by jrw45 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:12 am

Doing a search for midi, It seems there is a big problem with getting midi to play. I for one.
Before I wiped Winxp off my computer MIDI files played fine. Isn't so now that I installed LinuxMint 11.

I tried loading all kinds of software from the software manager and only once did I get some midi to work however it was only one instrucment that played so most of the 'midi song' was quiet.

I been reading a lot of posts about getting midi to play on linux but everyone is different, there doesn't seem to be a common factor. Would someone please give me the exact steps or progrmas to load...

I tried Timidity, Rosegraden and other strangely named files that had to do with midi but always dead dead dead.

It got to be a simply thing to do I say that because when I had winXp on this laptop midi worked fine... I just want to be able to play midi files, not record them or create them, I don't have a musical skill to do that anyway.

so what do you say, can you help?

JimBo (The new NewBie in town.)

by the way,I don't mess around, you will not see icons or cute little jumping bugs, not even a fancy Sig... sorry.. no sideline entertainment here

kabads
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MIDI - The mystery program

Post by kabads » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:44 am

It could be that your issue isn't to do with the software that you used (e.g. rosegarden) as these applications will be tried and tested. A quick look at rosegarden showed up that it is quite a mature piece of software. Alternatively, it could be that there is something else not installed in your system.

jrw45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrw45 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:17 am

Is there a software that is simple and only plays midi files?

Back to your comment, what piece of software might be missing?

jrw45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrw45 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:21 am

Is there a software that is simple and only plays midi files?

Back to your comment, what else should be installed?

Or better yet is there a list of programs/software or things that should be install in order for midi files to play?

etc... etc...

kabads
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kabads » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:31 am

I'm not familiar with midi files or a player that will play them - have you searched for a solution on the net?

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:32 pm

totem plays midi files.

Code: Select all

totem <path-to-file.mid>
Programs like ardour and rosegarden can probably play midi-files but they are more advanced tools for music production and would probably want you to specify instruments for each track and sounds for these instruments. Originally midi is a simple protocol for data transmission and syncing music equipment. A midi file as used in computers/ internet is not covered by this protocoll so if you download a midistudio that is dedicated for use with your home studio/hardware you might get disappointed.
Edit: Ardour2 doesn't do midi. Ardour3 will...

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Have you tried this? https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Midi/ ... hesisHowTo

Sounds to me your not loading soundfonts.

Of course music boxes now days are electronic and not mechanical, so you probably don't know what I'm talking about.

The music box in you computer is a chip on your sound card.
the midi player "rotates the barrel[midi] and translates the electrical impulses from the harp[soundfonts] to sound.
Soundfonts are like the harp to the music box, if you don't have a harp that matches the pins on the barrel[midi] then the pin misses and there is no sound.

the trick is to find a soundfont that has as many instruments on it as possible so you miss as little as possible. I still haven't found a really good free one.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-17.1: KDE)

Return to “Software & Applications”