Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
barsoomian51
Level 1
Level 1

java functionality

Post by barsoomian51 »

recently i downloaded and installed Mint10 "Julia" (32-bit cd with gnome desktop). i use my home desktop to play chess,
when i have time, at the yahoo chess rooms so i need sun java (w/the plugin) and the adobe flash player. i've tried the open jdk
stuff but it just didn't work. may i say that, following the installation, i did a complete update before installing any other software;
and i am not sure if it's relevant but i did not opt to upgrade to the DVD during the installation. (i like to get my own software and updates).
anyway when i went to the yahoo chess site i was informed that i need Java and they included a link where i might go to download it. needless to say, i navigated to edit/preferences/content to make sure java script was enabled and pop-ups allowed.
that was fine, but upon checking the tools menu i was troubled to discover that firefox wasn't showing a java plugin. naturally i
checked synaptic just to make sure i'd picked it. it was there.
does anyone have an idea what i'm overlooking here? i'm not a complete newbie but am not a linux geek either....basically just a casual home user. would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks
seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: java functionality

Post by seppalta »

I automatically uninstall any iced tea and open JDK java and replace with sun-java6-bin, sun-java6-jdk, sun-java6-jre, sun-java6-plugin, sun-java6-fonts, sun-java6-javadb with any new install, and that seems to eliminate future java woes. The sun-java launchers are in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/bin . The application (chess) launcher will likely be in your home java folder: /home/doug/.java/ . The actual exec for my online java game:
Exec=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/bin/javaws -localfile /home/doug/.java/deployment/cache/6.0/9/7a63ba49-400fc873 ,
with the last 8 letter-numbers changing every time the game server updates.
grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler »

Because the 1.6.0.26 and older versions of Oracle/Sun Java are unsafe, they have been or are being removed from the repositories and from people's systems. That's why Firefox doesn't show a plugin anymore.

See http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java for more information and a possible workaround.
barsoomian51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barsoomian51 »

thanks for replies, guys. i'll see what i can do with that info and if it wont work.........i'll go with a newer version. thnx again.
barsoomian
barsoomian51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barsoomian51 »

amigos, the work-around at duinsoft.nl worked like a charm. many thanks
robsmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robsmint »

Works for me too. Thanks grizzler for posting the link and thanks to others who contributed to the solution e.g. duinsoft.nl and at http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java.

Return to “Software & Applications”