Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Desktop Widgets

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:45 am

I need a good program to run quality desktop widgets. KDE has superkaramba which has some excellent widgets. I tried desklets but was somewhat disappointed. I found Smoothweather with is supposed to be a screenlet program but I cannot get screenlets or smoothweather to run properly. Screenlets is in the menu and will run but the daemon does not start. Also, I could not install smoothweather into the screenlets inventory. I can run smoothweather stand alone but it will not start upon reboot (tried adding to "sessions" but it is a no-go). Any ideas?
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0

pete284

Re: Desktop Widgets

Postby pete284 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:56 am

gDesklets has some nice widgets.

Some are quite difficult to get working and you have to add it manually to start up but the end effects are nice

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Desktop Widgets

Postby rcdeacon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 am

Thank you pete284. I did go to the gnome-look site and downloaded "goodweather" which is a gdesklet. I installed gdesklets again and installed goodweather and that works ok but it is not as good as smoothweather which gives a five day weather spread.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0

Return to “Software & Applications”