Problem with add-apt-repository. Cannot add PPA's.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ocafu

Problem with add-apt-repository. Cannot add PPA's.

Post by ocafu »

Hello!

I don't know exactly what seems to be the cause of this issue since it used to work fine after a new install. I've added some PPA until one day (must have done something, but I don't know what!) it just stopped working. This is what I do:

I add any new PPA source (for instance):

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:satyajit-happy/themes
I get the normal alert message:

You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
 Themes by Satya
 This PPA contains various themes for Gnome 3, Gnome Shell etc.
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~satyajit-happy/+archive/themes
Press ENTER to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it
And, after hitting ENTER, I get is this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 98, in <module>
    sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 96, in __init__
    self.reload_sourceslist()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 580, in reload_sourceslist
    self.distro.get_sources(self.sourceslist)    
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 91, in get_sources
    raise NoDistroTemplateException("Error: could not find a "
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template
An echo $? command, obviously yields a result of 1 therefore, I cannot add new PPAs to my system sources.

The funny thing is that I can't even access the Repositories via Synaptic GUI. I just get a weird message that says "Repositories have changed" and it only allows me to reload the sources and retrieve any new update, but I can't actually get to the sources dialog window to modify stuff! Really strange.

The only way I've found I can get to the view the sources list in a GUI is using Ubuntu Tweak tool, which I don't really like. I think it messes things up a bit. I prefer good ol' Synaptic!

Anyway, the reality is that I've lost sources functionality is messed up and I can't pin-point where the problem is.

By the way, I'm on Mint 12 "Lisa".

Could somebody please give me some advice? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problem with add-apt-repository. Cannot add PPA's.

Post by remoulder »

Try using inxi -r to list your sources.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ocafu

Post by ocafu »

remoulder, thanks for the tip. It works, I get my sources list on the console, but that's not the problem.

What I need is to know why I can't add new PPA repositories nor access the software sources dialog window with Synaptic. I'm stuck with the current repositories and I want to have the "normal" functionality restored: add/remove repositories, purge PPAs, etc, ...
ocafu

Post by ocafu »

Hello? Can anybody please help?
ocafu

Post by ocafu »

Hooray!! I fixed it!
I had uninstalled the "mintupdate" utility and it seems to break the add-apt-repository functionality (!!) Very very weird! If someone has the same problem, reinstalling de Mint update package repairs it. At least in my case :-)

Bye!
Pvnkmrksk

Post by Pvnkmrksk »

ocafu wrote:Hooray!! I fixed it!
I had uninstalled the "mintupdate" utility and it seems to break the add-apt-repository functionality (!!) Very very weird! If someone has the same problem, reinstalling de Mint update package repairs it. At least in my case :-)

Bye!
Thank you. Had the same problem. The fix worked well :D Any idea why it happens? :evil:
mody

Post by mody »

Hi,
I've the same problem and fixed it by editing:
/etc/lsb-release
and
/usr/share/python-apt/templates/LinuxMint.info

In the first file, I've changed DISTRIB_CODENAME= to oneiric.
In the second file, I've made a copy of whole "Suite: jaunty" section and changed all "jaunty" to "oneiric".

After this change, added ppas are for the correct distribution.

HTH,
Mody

Return to “Software & Applications”