Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
machineghost
Level 1
Level 1

terminal profiles not working?

Post by machineghost »

I have the latest (12) version of mint, and installed it fresh on a brand new laptop. Everything works great ... except for two things:

1) graphics card driver problems (not Mint's fault, just the usual "Linux doesn't work with lots of hardware" issues)
2) terminal profiles are broken (this one I suspect is Mint's fault)

The problem I'm having is that the profiles in the (standard, included with Mint) terminal don't work. I can create them, but changing the terminal to them does nothing. Similarly, if I start the terminal from within a terminal, and use the --tab-with-profile argument, it doesn't work either.

Come to think of it, there's also no flippant quotes from ASCII animals either (but maybe that got removed in 12?).

Has anyone else seen this, or do I just have some screwy luck with my particular system?

P.S. I already tried a super user post on this (http://superuser.com/questions/374616/l ... 360#377360) but no one there knew anything.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Re: terminal profiles not working?

Post by Kikito »

After quickly making a profile on my system, I found no problems actually switching to it and it looks like it was supposed to look like. I know this doesn't help much, but at least it means it's not a universal problem on Linux Mint 12, I suppose.
machineghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by machineghost »

Thanks Kikito for letting me know that; it does help me narrow things down a little. Of course, since I did a fresh install, what I'm doing should be the same as ... wait a sec!

I'm running in the MATE login (I tried GNOME3, I really did, but I just couldn't take it). If you have a moment (and if not, no biggee) could you please repeat that test while logged in to MATE?
machineghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by machineghost »

Well, I just checked again (in MATE), and now my profiles are working, so I guess this can be chalked up to a Mint bug (that has since been fixed). Thanks again for the help.
vbrtrmn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vbrtrmn »

Long time linux user .. Linux Mint 12 noob here.

I was having a similar issue, I just removed the "if running bash" section out of .profile then moved .profile to .bashrc. If you don't comment or remove the bashrc section, it will cause the terminal to go into an infinite loop and auto-close. This seems to work fine.

Code: Select all

# if running bash
#if [ -n "$BASH_VERSION" ]; then
#    # include .bashrc if it exists
#    if [ -f "$HOME/.bashrc" ]; then
#	. "$HOME/.bashrc"
#    fi
#fi
Then...

Code: Select all

mv ~/.profile ~/.bashrc
Chris_D
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris_D »

Thanks vbrtrmn, that worked for me. And I'm running MATE in Debian, not Mint!

Chris

Return to “Software & Applications”