Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Virtual Box Questions

Post by Fred »

I am considering setting up a box running Mint 4 with xp running in Virtual Box. I need to do some testing on a program that only runs in xp. Ahhh... the things we do to earn a few bucks. :-)

I have never used Virtual Box before and had a couple questions.

1. Where does Mint store the virtual disk? /user, /opt, or somewhere else?

2. I assume the Windows code itself is on the virtual disk, if not please correct me.

3. Where is the Virtual Box code stored? /user? And how big is it?

Any other tips/tricks you can give me about installation and use.

Thanks for the help,

Fred

stafio
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Virtual Box Questions

Post by stafio »

I'll do my best to answer your questions.
1. Where does Mint store the virtual disk? /user, /opt, or somewhere else?
Wherever you want. I have my virtual disk stored on a separate partition. It's not so much where Mint stores the virtual disk. You can have it wherever you want and tell VirtualBox where it is.
2. I assume the Windows code itself is on the virtual disk, if not please correct me.
Yes, VirtualBox creates a .vdi (Virtual Disk Image, I believe) that contains the operating system code, settings, etc.
3. Where is the Virtual Box code stored? /user? And how big is it?
I'm not sure exactly where everything is stored, but I can give you a rough size. I did an apt-get remove virtualbox on my machine and got "After unpacking, 36.9MB disk space will be freed."
Any other tips/tricks you can give me about installation and use.
- Add the VirtualBox repositories to your apt sources. See "Debian-based Linux distributions: Add one of the following lines according to your distribution to your /etc/apt/sources.list:" on http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- If you do keep your virtual OS on a separate partition as I have done, you can safely install a new/reinstall a different OS and not lose anything.
- See the End User Documentation for other helpful tips and solutions for common problems.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

stafio,

Thank you for the response. That is exactly what I wanted to know. :-)

Many regards,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Here is a good tip. Annoyance, Virtual Box unmounts and takes control of my external USB drive. Solution, create a new virtual hard disk for backups on the external drive, and dont enable the usb drive in settings, you will still have full access to the drive from your Mint desktop. You can also add the external drive as a shared folder.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Return to “Software & Applications”