usb dvd drive and LXDE netbook - vlc doesn't identify?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

usb dvd drive and LXDE netbook - vlc doesn't identify?

Post by tpprynn »

If I try to play a DVD with my external dvd drive (Samsung) connected to my netbook, neither VLC nor Gnome Mplayer co-operate. Parole does, though it has no deinterlacing feature so that's not too good. I'm thinking maybe VLC for example is trying to read a normal internal DVD drive's address when there is none. If so, how do I determine what should be in the box in VLC's settingswhere /dev/dvd is by default? Some Terminal command I can use? If I navigate to the Video_TS folder - when it then says /media/ [DVD title] in the box - I can watch the DVD but hopefully it can be made to be automated like we expect. I did try setting /media/ to no avail.

I'm hoping this isn't actually a fault of LXDE Mint unless it's simply rectified as I was becoming settled with this version of Mint.

Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: usb dvd drive and LXDE netbook - vlc doesn't identify?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Insert a DVD disc, wait for it to finish spinning up, then open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

mount | tail -n1
It will output something similar to:
/dev/sr0 on /media/KING_ARTHUR type udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,umask=0077,dmode=0500)
In blue the device name, in my case, and this is what you need to configure in VLC (whatever value is shown for you). In red the mount point, which you do not configure in VLC.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Yes, it turns out it is /dev/sr0 but this won't stay fixed in VLC. Is there something in the filesystem I can alter or a configuration file I've not yet found? Googling has led nowhere.

Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Normally, you can set this in VLC in menu Tools > Preferences > Inputs & Codecs, and change Default optical device.

Perhaps it doesn't stick there because it is a removable drive?
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Ok, so why doesn't it stay fixed, customizing VLC preferences should fix your data including name for dvd device and any audio or video choices..
http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/2817 ... -permanent

http://www.videolan.org/support/index.html
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Thanks, that's sorted most of the issue. Although I had I thought scoured through the Preferences I had missed the relevant one. If possible now I'd like the DVDs to start automatically in VLC. I'll read the VLC links but if there should be an LXDE-related factor perhaps someone can let me know.

Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”