Virtual Box and USB recognition SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Virtual Box and USB recognition SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I have installed the latest version of Virtual Box on to my Mint 12 installation.
Everything is fine but I cannot get my USB to read or even be recognised. I have installed " VirtualBox 4.1.8 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack ", some years ago I had the same problem with Ubuntu. the solution was to go to System admin users, click on user and unlock, click on manage groups, scroll down to V.box, click on properties, close reboot.
With Mint I cannot seem to be able to do any of these things.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Virtual Box and USB recognition

Post by Roken »

If you have installed the extension pack, then you are halfway there.

Go to users and groups, manage groups, and add yourself to the "vboxusers" group. Logout and login again, and it should work.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Virtual Box and USB recognition

Post by bicky »

Thanks for this. Can you please tell me how to get into Users/Groups and where to find "Vbox users. If I go to user accounts ( No users groups) - unlock (password ) all I have on screen is
All Settings top rt hand - Mike Admin - other accounts. At the bottom is a + / - sign if I go to the plus and type in Vbox users it tells me that the account is there, but I cannot locate it or amend it. I am obviously doing something stupid, but cannot work out what it is - Help please.

Edit: found it:

CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo gedit /etc/group

Then search for the "vboxusers" group and add your username to that line, like so:

vboxusers:x:125:mike
iceblue

Re: Virtual Box and USB recognition SOLVED

Post by iceblue »

Im getting perity tierd of dicking with this stupid thing now. None of this works still wont reconize USB. If you go to Setting on the VB it pops up no USB because there needs to be a user added.

Well on Linux Mint 12 they did away with the user groups section. So use the Term to edit the groups file. as stated ^ and on other sites. Well my list showed
vboxusers:x:127:
So I added my user name Chris to the end and nothing changed I tried adding the line with 125 and still nothing. Close file and open with term to make sure the line was added and verified yes.

Reboot system login logout nothing same effect.

Yes the exstention pack is added onto Vbox
Screenshot-1.png
Screenshot.png
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

Can I assume that you have guest additions installed .
If you open and run V Box - insert your USB device , Memory Stick ? - then dependent upon screen size use the Rt Control Home or whatever - to open the Menu. Scroll down to devices open this - then scroll down to USB open this - the device you inserted should be shown , tick the box and your done . All should work O.K.
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

bicky wrote:Can I assume that you have guest additions installed .
If you open and run V Box - insert your USB device , Memory Stick ? - then dependent upon screen size use the Rt Control Home or whatever - to open the Menu. Scroll down to devices open this - then scroll down to USB open this - the device you inserted should be shown , tick the box and your done . All should work O.K.
yeah that worked, thank you! Been fighting this for two days I was fixing to break something soon. Dont know why I had to hit the control on the key board one first now it works. It was to run magic jack. I have to do all this on my server just to run MJ.

Return to “Software & Applications”