Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternativ

Postby thom_A » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Been trying to replace my desktop publisher in Windows with Scribus, but Scribus' search function hasn't been giving the results I wanted. The program itself is fine and could rival commercial apps, but when I try to search text or group of words, not necessarily to replace them, but to add or edit something, it' becomes a huge task.

mehimu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mehimu » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:23 am

So many apps, in a post. Thanks yamawho, for this link.
I am learning linux and computer networking more and more. I've a blog related to computer networking. If you are interested may visit there. Thanks
myitzn.blogspot.com

myrkat
Level 2
Level 2

Postby myrkat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:32 pm

thom_A wrote:Been trying to replace my desktop publisher in Windows with Scribus, but Scribus' search function hasn't been giving the results I wanted. The program itself is fine and could rival commercial apps, but when I try to search text or group of words, not necessarily to replace them, but to add or edit something, it' becomes a huge task.
I feel your pain. I've been using Scribus for almost a year now - only using it for a 6-page newsletter (3-column, photos, custom artwork, etc). And it is a tad "rough" still. I am on the nightly builds, which seemed better for me than the stable. YMMV.

I was using Xara for my newsletter (an incredible app for Windows only), and still use it (Xara Designer 11) in a VM for creating custom vector artwork. I am trying to ween myself off of it and move entirely to Inkscape, but the difference between Xara and Inkscape is like night and day as far as ease of use and layout goes. Not to mention stability.

Scribus is an excellent multi-platform DTP app that could easily become professional if enough resources were dedicated to it. It does get easier after a fairly sharp learning curve.
Main Comp: i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz + nVidia 760GTX + 16GB RAM + SSD + HDD²
Linux Mint 17.2 - KDE 4.14.2 - kernel 3.16.0-38-generic
Join me and become a Linux Mint Community Sponsor and share some love! (for as little as USD$20 a month)

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Postby z31fanatic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:45 pm

Most of those apps are good alternatives for most people but try telling professionals to switch from AutoCAD to Archimedes, or from Photoshop to Gimp. You'll get laughed at.

mehimu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mehimu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:57 am

Well, i think that it is good. This link is helpful for me. Thanks for your nice share.
I am learning linux and computer networking more and more. I've a blog related to computer networking. If you are interested may visit there. Thanks
myitzn.blogspot.com

charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Postby charlieg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:33 pm

hwally wrote:A great list but doesn't mention an alternative to Adobe Flash. Since they're not going to support Linux anymore does Mint have an alternative ready.

Gnash?

yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby yamawho » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Wow ... this thread is still going :mrgreen:

I installed Mint 17.3 Mate today and was looking for applications and remembered this thread.

I noticed the original link was updated in 2013 from 2008.

Also, great to see the others have added more links.

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Postby apemanx » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks so much!

This is a list I've been waiting for. Answers a lot of posts over the last year -- all in one!
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

PeterRJG
Level 1
Level 1

Postby PeterRJG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:00 pm

While it doesn't have OneNote's functionality, I use CherryTree as a note-taking/note-storing program. Excellent app to keep assorted tidbits together for university or whatever purpose you have. The folks at LibreOffice really need to have a look at making a OneNote app, but I imagine they have other priorities.

You can get CherryTree in the Mint repos.

And to whoever said ArcGIS > QGIS earlier in this thread, all I can say is that maps created in the former will not load in QGIS properly, and there's little common ground between them. Sure QGIS is free but they're both woefully complicated pieces of software to use with learning curves from hell.

Joel Cairo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternatives

Postby Joel Cairo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm sure it's good, but there's nothing for me there. I found this list very useful though: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... -linux.htm

raju
Level 1
Level 1

Postby raju » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:37 pm

thank u for that link..

bad medicine
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bad medicine » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:07 pm

PeterRJG wrote:

And to whoever said ArcGIS > QGIS earlier in this thread, all I can say is that maps created in the former will not load in QGIS properly, and there's little common ground between them. Sure QGIS is free but they're both woefully complicated pieces of software to use with learning curves from hell.

I'm no expert in either but while you might not be able to use maps directly from Arc to Q you can recreate some of them pretty readily. Depending on what you mean by "map", because "map" could mean different things to different people. Any shapefile used as a layer in creating an ArcGis "map" can be used to make a similar "map" in Q. You just can't open or import an entire ArcMap project in Q, and you can't open a Q project in Arc. But you can make layers in Q that be used to build a map in Arc, just as the reverse is true.

And you're certainly right about the steep learning curve on both, but I was able to transfer what I knew (which is not very much) from Arc to Q pretty well, I just had to learn different ways to do somethings. Now that ArcGis is available for "only" $100/year QGIS is less appealing, although I actually like it better than Arc for some things.
Thinkpad T410 i5 2.4 Ghz 4GB
Dual boot Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64-bit, Windows 7

Pierre
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Pierre » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:24 am

another alternative to Microsoft Office is :
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/
from the makers of SoftMaker Office ..
- available for Both Windows & Linux
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Postby killer de bug » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:29 am

well it seems free but not free (open source)... :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

not_Daniel

Postby not_Daniel » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:53 am

yamawho wrote:A nice list to keep handy.

Paypal to Dogecoin. :lol:

Minted1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Minted1 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Re Financial programs, Ace money. This was always the fly in the ointment for both Linux and Mac. Have run Ace money in wine in Mac but a bit grim, very 1980 s look and feel. Well changed over to Mint completely last week and think I have tried all the finance apps and settled on Grisbi in the end as the nearest to Ace money excepting looking ahead to how broke I will be come next week when all the direct debits have gone out, Ace lists them greyed out when not due on the same page and gives running balance look ahead. Mind could never find a window program that did this either. Grisbi you have to enter them ahead to see future balance but it works, no instructions in English but t's quite easy to get to grips with.

Return to “Software & Applications”