Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternatives

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rich_roast

Re: Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternatives

Post by rich_roast »

dnmint wrote:Anything to replace Lotus Notes ?
I believe Lotus Notes is available for Linux. I don't know about a floss replacement although I suspect that a combination of applications would effectively replace the IBM application's functionality if not compatibility with other Lotus Notes clients. Others will have more expertise.
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Just saw this list now, great link! Really..
Trustnobody13

Post by Trustnobody13 »

Great list of Open Source Apps,Thanks.
bradthewanderer

Post by bradthewanderer »

Clonezilla is also a great free bit of software. It allows users to make a backup image of one's hard drive, its great to use when you have foobar'ed your computer. It can be used in Windows or Linux.
Detective RooTz

Post by Detective RooTz »

That's a pretty nice find you have there. Thanks.
BopNiblets

Re: Top 50 Proprietary apps and their Open Source Alternativ

Post by BopNiblets »

A Paint.NET clone for Linux should be in there, Pinta, is in early development but looks promising :)
http://pinta-project.com
DGMurdockIII
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DGMurdockIII »

CBR_Rob

Post by CBR_Rob »

DrHu wrote:
There is also a fair amount of cad software for Linux, but if you need autocad specifically, then outa luck
[/b]
Good cad software just needs to be easy to use. Have a way to snap to points, ability to work with blocks and external references, basic commands, easy command entering interface I have yet to come across one that will allow command line entering only toolbars, and since AutoCAD has such a big base it needs to be able to work with dwg's. So far all the open source cad software I have tried falls way short of the mark. I am trying Qcad right now and it also looks like it is going to miss the mark.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

CBR_Rob wrote: Good cad software just needs to be easy to use. Have a way to snap to points, ability to work with blocks and external references, basic commands, easy command entering interface I have yet to come across one that will allow command line entering only toolbars, and since AutoCAD has such a big base it needs to be able to work with DWG's. So far all the open source cad software I have tried falls way short of the mark.
I am a Registered Architect in the US for almost 30 years. For the past 2 years I have been using Linux and Open source exclusively.

Like most people (Americans) dealing with any branch of architecture ... I used to swear by and almost worship AutoCAD.
As this is the "only true" program used by architectural professionals. Sadly, AutoCAD is proprietary and is only made for Windows and Apple.

There are many fine applications/programs made for Linux for architectural uses.
Granted most are not as mature or as versatile as AutoCAD ... but, the Linux/Open source developers are making huge leaps in program development.
And will soon, be a major contender for AutoCAD in the architectural community.

I am currently using Archimedes for Linux. I use Blender for renderings. Both are fine programs.

Speaking about a "learning curve" ... AutoCAD is in no way 'easy' to learn or use.
In the Universities that teach Architecture, there are courses/classes designed to teach AutoCAD. I've taken some of these ... it's not an easy program to learn to use well.
Again, the Linux-based CAD applications do require a learning curve, but only because they are different.

My current Linux CAD applications save files in the same format as AutoCAD, making it easy to save and open on another computer system for viewing and/or editing.

The main selling point is that AutoCAD being proprietary is not cheap to buy and use.
A new version of AutoCAD 2010 ... the 12 DVDs sell for $3,500 :shock: The updated AutoCAD 2009 version sells for half that.
Whereas, any and all CAD programs for Linux cost . . . NOTHING.

Linux and OpenSource applications/programs are FREE. :lol: Learning curve or not ... I can learn to live without AutoCAD.
mickmick

Post by mickmick »

I am a Linux/Mint newbie but so far love it. What I really miss so far is an application like "Where Is It" or "Advanced Disk Catalog" in Windows world. I am not talking about something like CD/DVD catalogin software. I have 4 internal hdd's with files/appz/images I want to search for at anytime. How to do it in Linux ? Anyone with solution ? Gnome Catalog doesn't seem to work the way I want :(
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

mickmick wrote:I am a Linux/Mint newbie but so far love it. What I really miss so far is an application like "Where Is It" or "Advanced Disk Catalog" in Windows world. I am not talking about something like CD/DVD catalogin software. I have 4 internal hdd's with files/appz/images I want to search for at anytime. How to do it in Linux ? Anyone with solution ? Gnome Catalog doesn't seem to work the way I want :(
On my computer using Mint-8 Xfce I have several Applications like what you might want.
(These are all available in the Synaptic Manager)

Find Files
Application Finder
Archive Manager
Catfish
Bacula
mlocate
strigi
swishe
.... there are many others.

Open the Synaptic Package Manager and do a search.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

http://www.osalt.com/

I think this pretty much renders that list redundant? :D
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

mickmick wrote:I am a Linux/Mint newbie but so far love it. What I really miss so far is an application like "Where Is It" or "Advanced Disk Catalog" in Windows world. I am not talking about something like CD/DVD catalogin software. I have 4 internal hdd's with files/appz/images I want to search for at anytime. How to do it in Linux ? Anyone with solution ? Gnome Catalog doesn't seem to work the way I want :(
As a Linux user you must be more computer proficient than the average Windows user. Well unless you paid someone to install Linux for you. In any case I personally never had any use for file index and search programs. I know where my files are. I know where each program stores data files, and I know where I put my files. I would imagine most Linux users do. Therefore I'm not understanding your issue. Don't you know what drives, and what folders your mp3 files etc etc are stored in?
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Interesting but some of those are Windows apps. ClamWin, Winpooch, etc.
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whare1 »

yamawho wrote:Got this from another forum. A nice list to keep handy.

http://whdb.com/2008/the-top-50-proprie ... ernatives/

Just had a Trojon warning on this site from Firefox so if your visiting via windows well dont lol
I've Been
Minted

Running Mint 9 KDE
Running Mint 9 Gnome
safetycopy

Post by safetycopy »

I was just going to post about the "Reported Attack Page!" warning...
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Cool OCR for Linux (with some eastern langs support): YAGF :)
http://symmetrica.net/cuneiform-linux/yagf-en.html

Read this also !
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p341105
Last edited by Elisa on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

I was using Where Is It on windows too. I tried it by wine, it worked but was terrible to use - so I finally decided to kick it off and rather use some 'native' aka Linux sw :)
I have tried CD catalogizer (cdcat) from Synaptic and it's cool and do its job :)
You won't see thumbnails etc. but as for me - I need quickly look up based on keywords any sw or file and that app it does fine 8)
flintstone

Post by flintstone »

Clicked on the link and got an attack warning popup....yikes!, anybody else?

Return to “Software & Applications”