Before you post please read how to get help
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

apt-get install went TU

Post by bootmakr »

after 745 'gets', (354 MB) which took almost an hour, I get hit with this

Code: Select all

Get:745 http://archive.ubuntu.com oneiric-updates/main libcanberra-gtk3-module 0.28-0ubuntu11 [15.8kB]
Fetched 354MB in 55min 31s (106kB/s)                                           
E: Couldn't configure pre-depend upstart-job for hostname, probably a dependency cycle.
All I was doing was:

apt-get install gvfs network-manager
I was given a message to install those two apps when I tried to purge 119 items that caused the computer janitor to freeze up. They were mostly language packs and some (apparently) useless libs.

Does anyone here understand this error
E: Couldn't configure pre-depend upstart-job for hostname, probably a dependency cycle.
and what I can do about it to be able to install the two above apps?

I was also told to use apt-get remove for several packages, but when I tried to remove them, it said those packages weren't installed!
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: apt-get install went TU

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bootmakr »

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Moved here by moderator
Thanks, by moving my question, you've made it possible for me to get NO response, why did I bother to ask?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Please refer to the forum rules. If nobody has responded within 48 hours, you may bump your topic to promote attention. To bump a thread, scroll to the bottom of the topic and click Bump Topic, by Board Index, Subscribe Topic, and Bookmark Topic.

Computer janitor is known to be dangerous and able to break systems easily by, like you saw, proposing to remove "useless libs" (actually libraries needed for other parts of the system to function :(). Unless you know how to thoroughly check what it is suggesting to do, do not use this tool. It isn't included in newer version of Linux Mint anymore for that reason.

Did you perhaps upgrade from one Linux Mint version to another, without doing the clean reinstallation? For some software, that may cause this problem.

Try the following command, it may share some insight. Please share its output here:

sudo apt-get install -f
bootmakr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bootmakr »

Since I got NO responses - due to you moving my request - I have already re-installed, this time the applications menu has disappeared (different thread). Thanks anyways!

Return to “Software & Applications”