Urgent! - Nothing Loads.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Maxi

Urgent! - Nothing Loads.

Post by Maxi »

Hey.
[Green Noob @ Mint 12]
I just did some package updates (With the manager) and restrated computer.
When I log now the top panel bar doesnt load and my mouse is a cross (not an arrow) pretty much like if I was using that application to end process x-kill or whatever.
Alt-F2 doesn't work; Ctrl-Alt-T doesn't work. In fact nothing works, I can only reach this forum because I had a shortcut to firefox on my desktop (I just have Computer, My folder, Firefox and Trash).
I have tried restarting computer but the problem is still the same (I did Ctrl-Alt-F1, logged in, sudo shutdown -r now, su pass and Poff, restart).
I cannot do anything!

Please save me!,

Maxi

EDIT: And I do not have the buttons to minimize, maximize or close this windows neither.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
J3niik

Re: Urgent! - Nothing Loads.

Post by J3niik »

Hi,

i do have the same problem. In fact i cant even reach Synaptics, because not even termial works. Now i run LiveCD Linux Mint...

I would like to describe this problem more in details, but this is pretty much everything / no upper bar, no bottom bar, cross instead of mouse, none of icons to minimaze, close, maximaze..

Thanks for help

J
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I don't know if this will help you but try running "cinnamon --replace" in terminal assuming terminal works. Type that without the quotes of course. It sounds like cinnamon isn't loading. One more thing, what graphics driver are you using?
Maxi

Post by Maxi »

My computer died already.
Doesn't turn on.
At the moment I am using my sister's one (Yuuuk pc with windows and browser = ie).
Since I am not home I cannot "take care" of my pc...
I will boot it through a CD when I get home (tomorrow or the day after tomorrow) save my stuff to a USB stick and format (re install mint).

Just to reply: My Video Card is ATI Radeon 5650. I guess... not sure now that I can't turn it on.
Eitherway it is a laptop, and old sony vaio: VGN-FW51ZF.

J3niik, good luck with that. "Keep us posted".
!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It might have been a graphics driver issue. You installed the fglrx or Catalyst driver?
In future please don't use the one from Additional Drivers on Mint 12 if your card is ATI/AMD but use the latest driver from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx.

I also once had problems with an Apple laptop that wouldn't turn on at all. But a few days later it ran fine again dual-booting Linux and Mac OS X.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
J3niik

Post by J3niik »

Sorry, ive forgotten to send my configuration.

Yes - i have ATI radeon HD 5870, she worked fine until this last update. I tried the catalyst driver (before the last update of course), but with that 720p and 1080p video was shredding and even effects in gnome werent fluent. I read that there was a problem with 3D acc.

Now i dont even know how to fix this, while terminal wont show up (ctrl alt T). I am not at home at the moment, but i am assuming if i downloaded the latest catalyst driver, i couldnt install it either for there is still the old one installed, and since i cant reach synaptics, i cant uninstall the old one :(

thank you all for trying to help.

J
Fraguccino

Post by Fraguccino »

Hey Everyone,
I experienced the exact same problem. I was able to fix my system by switching to a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-f1) on boot. Once I was there, I used wget to grab the 12.3 driver

Code: Select all

wget 'www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run'
then installed with

Code: Select all

./amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run
(if that doesn't work, preface the command with sudo). Reboot after the driver installs. Hope this helps!
Maxi

Post by Maxi »

Hey Fragucciono,
Was your computer any of these:
"
Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks
Toshiba notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
Panasonic notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)"
"
Because those are the notebooks that AMD says that are imcompatible with the update you mentioned (and I have a Sony VAIO).

Thanks for the info
Maxi

Return to “Software & Applications”