Record what you hear

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Record what you hear

Postby MartyMint » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use "record-what-you-hear" application for recording gameplay sound as well as two plugged in USB mics (Blue Yeti).
I normally use my Blue Yeti mic when I record simple spoken-word with Audacity. I'd like to record conversation while I'm playing retro ROMS running under FCEUX, as well as the dialogue with my friends.
I use Linux Mint 17.1 KDE.

phd21
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Record what you hear

Postby phd21 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi "MartyMint",

1.) Perhaps this "Audio Recorder" to record anything audio related on your computer.

Linux Mint 18
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audio-recorder/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

Linux Mint 17.x or earlier
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:osmoma/audio-recorder
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

2.) SimpleScreenRecorder - can record video and audio or either one.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder simplescreenrecorder-lib

# if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system:

sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386

3.) FYI: There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other check boxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone checkboxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

The applications included are:
- qasconfig - browser for the alsa configuration tree
- qashctl - mixer for alsa's high level control interface
- qasmixer - desktop mixer with features similar to alsamixer

Qasmixer is a desktop mixer application for alsa's "simple mixer interface" and offers features similar to alsamixer. it also features a sytem tray icon with basic mixer functionality.

Install "libasound2-plugin-equal" which is another system wide equalizer that's in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that shows up in "QasMixer".

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.1, 64-bit, Awesome, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller, DVD Lightscribe.
Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

ugly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ugly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 pm

I think OBS will work for this. Although it might be overkill.

https://obsproject.com/

It's a screen recorder, but you can also just set it up so you only record an audio source. I haven't really tried it, though.

I seem to remember using pavucontrol to set up recording the audio output using Audacity. You should be able to pick one of your output devices as an input.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MartyMint » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 am

Hmmm...I've been using Audio Recorder for about 2 years now...I didn't consider using it for this purpose.

You're right about OBS...slightly overkill, but I want to explore it more deeply.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”