USB Mixer [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

USB Mixer [Solved]

Post by JayBird707 »

I have a Sound Blaster SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB sound card that I want to use as an external mixer. I can't figure out how to get the Sound Blaster USB signal routed as an input to my on board sound card.
The Sound Blaster is recognized by Linux. The inputs and outputs are listed and configurable in Pulse Audio. The problem is when i go into a mixer there are no configurable controls. In QasMixer the Sound Blaster is listed but when you select it there are no controls.
In ALSA Mixer when you select the Sound Blaster it gives the message : "This sound device does not have any controls".

Any and all guidance appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ASRock H470M-ITX/ac Home Build on Linux Mint Cinnamon!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, HP6300 SFF Desktop, Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint XFCE!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: USB Mixer

Post by catweazel »

I went to the website and looked at the pictures, I also downloaded and read the manual for you. Specifically see the picture to the left of the heading "Comprehensive connectivity for all your audio needs". From reading the manual and looking at that picture, it doesn't use USB for sound, only power. That explains why you don't have any controls. The USB is for power. You need to run line out cables from your machine to the box's line in, and from the box to your speakers. This is easily seen because the picture shows that the box requires a line input.

The manual clearly shows that you must use cables as I described above.

To put all that into 6 words or less, the device is not a mixer. In 3 words or less, it's an emulator.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

USB Mixer [Solved]

Post by JayBird707 »

The problem was resolved once I found: http://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html and got pointed to the ALSA commands 'alsa_in' and 'alsa_out'. I then found this very clear and concise explanation of the command usage that addressed exactly what I wanted to accomplish http://www.penguinproducer.com/Blog/201 ... -with-jack .
I can now mix (using JACK or Ardour) any input or output on my On Board audio card, a Creative SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro and a generic C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device.
ASRock H470M-ITX/ac Home Build on Linux Mint Cinnamon!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, HP6300 SFF Desktop, Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint XFCE!

Return to “Sound”