Audio sink with ALSA api?

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

Audio sink with ALSA api?

Post by LivingPharaoh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:54 am

Hi,

New Linux user here and not very knowledgeable with soundcards and drivers.

I created what I only know to call an "audio sink" with this guide here. The aim is to bring output audio from Skype into Mixxx (a virtual DJ program). Thing is, Skype works with PulseAudio, so I could set its output to Virtual Sink, but Mixxx works with ALSA (and OSS) only, so I can't set its input to Virtual Sink.

Is there a way I can get my virtual connection to work with ALSA or is there another solution out there to my needs? Ideally, but not essential, I'd have three such virtual connections for my purpose. So I'm looking for scalability also.

Thank you for your time

MrEen
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Audio sink with ALSA api?

Post by MrEen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi LivingPharaoh, and welcome to the forum.

The version of Mixxx in the repos on my 18.3 machine says it works with JACK and OSS (not ALSA) although one of the dependencies is pulseaudio-utils which seems really weird. This is mixxx 2.0.0~dfsg~4

If your version of Mixxx is using ALSA, I can't think of a workaround at the moment. If it's actually using JACK, you might be able to get what you want working if you install pulseaudio-module-jack However, I've never used Mixxx, so I doubt I can be a huge help there.

Reading up on Mixxx, it seems it's normally used with sound files. Would recording your Skype sessions be a possible solution?

LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LivingPharaoh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Thank you for the welcome

That's very confusing, because in Mixxx' documentation it mentions ALSA and offers it in preferences alongside OSS.

Certainly I'm not the only one who would like to get Skype working with Mixxx, so I'll share what I think might be a solution - to have Skype run on ALSA with PulseAudio emulation of ALSA. When I wrap my head around how to actually use it I'll report on whether I had any luck.

As for playing Skype recordings on Mixxx, it has to be live for my purposes. Back on Windows I'd use a Virtual Audio Cable, but here I am having to contend with two different sound systems.

MrEen
Level 11
Level 11

Post by MrEen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm suspecting you're not going to be able to do what you want, or if you can, it'll be a really crappy experience. From the Mixxx manual:

Code: Select all

Warning

On GNU/Linux do not use the ‘pulse’ device with the ALSA Audio API. This is an emulation layer for ALSA provided by PulseAudio and results in very poor performance. Make sure to run Mixxx using the pasuspender tool on GNU/Linux distributions that use PulseAudio. 

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”