MPV in LM MATE? [SOLVED]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

MPV in LM MATE? [SOLVED]

Post by muffybean » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:51 am

I am trying to get SMplayer to work in LM MATE and I have only been working in LM for just over 3 weeks and SMplayer for a week. One of the issues is Frame by frame control and posted the question in SMplayer forum. After I posted the problems in the forum the mod said about selecting MPV in the settings which I did but still got errors that I sent the results of to him. He responded with the folowing comment
Be sure mpv is installed in your system.
How do I know if this is installed?
Last edited by muffybean on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: MPV in LM MATE?

Post by gm10 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:39 am

muffybean wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:51 am
How do I know if this is installed?
At the most trivial: Find it in your menu and start it. ;) You can also check Software Manager, Package Manager, and there are various ways to check from the command line.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 am

If you're using at least Mint 18.3 and install SMplayer then you should have mpv installed too, it's the standard backend for SMplayer. If you want to use mplayer as a backend instead you have to install it separately, at least in 18.3. I know because that's what I do. I don't get any video performance improvement with mpv and I understand the mplayer settings better.

If you're running it on older hardware you may want to try installing mplayer and telling SMplayer to use that as a backend. Along with the enhancements they adder to mpv they unfortunately also dropped a lot of support for old machines. But that's pretty normal.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am

this is a trick question. what do you want to do? frame by frame is in the smplayer and has nothing to do with mplayer or mpv. what's the issue with pause and play frame step?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:48 am

trytip wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 am
frame by frame is in the smplayer and has nothing to do with mplayer or mpv.
Not quite, SMplayer is just a front-end of either of the other two, and mplayer can only frame-step forwards, not backwards, which is no doubt why OP was told to use mpv, which has no such limitation.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 am

@gm10
ah, thanx for clarifying. i did not realize that was the OP issue.
One of the issues is Frame by frame control
the user above did not mention anything about going backwards, naturally gm10 to the rescue :D

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi muffybean,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your systems setup including which versions of each Linux Mint each computer is using and whether they are 64-bit and or 32-bit. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt of each computer, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

SMplayer is superb media player like VLC and can use various "backends" like MPV or Mplayer and each backend has pros and cons like frame by frame viewing or not. And, you can change which backend you want to use whenever you want. It would help to install ffmpeg, x264, x265, mplayer, etc... from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

I have always installed SMplayer and MPV using PPA's for each to get the most current versions and to keep them updated, see instructions below. These instructions work for both Linux Mint 18.x and 19.x.

To install these using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/mpv-tests

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube  youtube-dl
or for added smplayer themes and skins

sudo apt-get install mpv smplayer smtube smplayer-themes smplayer-skins youtube-dl
To setup MPV as base for SMplayer head over to tool bar Under "Options" menu select "Preferences" then under "General" write /usr/bin/mpv in MPlayer/mpv executable field,

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm

To setup MPV as base for SMplayer head over to tool bar Under "Options" menu select "Preferences" then under "General" write /usr/bin/mpv in MPlayer/mpv executable field,
I carried out all the lines and the bottom bit but still not working. When I try to make the video go back Frame by frame "," I get this error.
SMplayer error
SMplayer error
error.png (89.96 KiB) Viewed 372 times
. So I copied the log and this is it.
/usr/bin/mpv /usr/bin/mpv in MPlayer/mpv --no-config --no-quiet --terminal --no-msg-color --input-file=/dev/stdin --msg-level=ffmpeg/demuxer=error --no-fs --hwdec=no --sub-auto=fuzzy --stop-screensaver --no-input-default-bindings --input-x11-keyboard=no --no-input-cursor --cursor-autohide=no --no-keepaspect --wid=56623140 --monitorpixelaspect=1 --osd-level=1 --osd-scale=1 --sub-ass --embeddedfonts --ass-line-spacing=0 --sub-scale=1 --sub-text-shadow-color=#ff000000 --sub-codepage=ISO-8859-1 --vid=1 --sub-pos=100 --volume=51 --cache=auto --start=78 --screenshot-template=cap_%F_%p_%02n --screenshot-format=jpg --softvol=yes --softvol-max=110 --term-playing-msg=MPV_VERSION=${=mpv-version:}
INFO_VIDEO_WIDTH=${=width}
INFO_VIDEO_HEIGHT=${=height}
INFO_VIDEO_ASPECT=${=video-params/aspect}
INFO_VIDEO_FPS=${=container-fps:${=fps}}
INFO_VIDEO_FORMAT=${=video-format}
INFO_VIDEO_CODEC=${=video-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_FORMAT=${=audio-codec-name}
INFO_AUDIO_CODEC=${=audio-codec}
INFO_AUDIO_RATE=${=audio-params/samplerate}
INFO_AUDIO_NCH=${=audio-params/channel-count}
INFO_LENGTH=${=duration:${=length}}
INFO_DEMUXER=${=current-demuxer:${=demuxer}}
INFO_SEEKABLE=${=seekable}
INFO_TITLES=${=disc-titles}
INFO_CHAPTERS=${=chapters}
INFO_TRACKS_COUNT=${=track-list/count}
METADATA_TITLE=${metadata/by-key/title:}
METADATA_ARTIST=${metadata/by-key/artist:}
METADATA_ALBUM=${metadata/by-key/album:}
METADATA_GENRE=${metadata/by-key/genre:}
METADATA_DATE=${metadata/by-key/date:}
METADATA_TRACK=${metadata/by-key/track:}
METADATA_COPYRIGHT=${metadata/by-key/copyright:}
INFO_MEDIA_TITLE=${=media-title:}
INFO_STREAM_PATH=${stream-path}
--audio-client-name=SMPlayer --term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} VB: ${=video-bitrate:0} AB: ${=audio-bitrate:0} /run/user/1000/gvfs/ftp:host=calypso.local/video/Golf/RotarySwing/Dead Drill/DEAD Drill Step 6 - Add Trail Arm & Ball.mp4
I also ran those two commands regarding details of my machine I have the problems with.
veronica@veronica-M61PM-S2:~$ inxi -Fxzd
System:
Host: veronica-M61PM-S2 Kernel: 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: MATE 1.22.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: M61PM-S2 v: N/A serial: <filter>
Mobo: Gigabyte model: M61PM-S2 serial: <filter> BIOS: Award v: F9d
date: 09/03/2009
Battery:
Device-1: hid-20:45:08:18:03:15-battery model: Bluetooth Keyboard
charge: N/A status: Discharging
CPU:
Topology: Triple Core model: AMD Phenom 8600B bits: 64 type: MCP arch: K10
rev: 3 L2 cache: 1536 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 13861
Speed: 1150 MHz min/max: 1150/2300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1150 2: 1150
3: 1150
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GT216GL [Quadro 400] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVA5 v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:05.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-66-generic
Network:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Gigabyte type: network bridge
driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: ec00 bus ID: 00:07.0
IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 352.12 GiB used: 11.31 GiB (3.2%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD PM871 2.5 7mm 128GB
size: 119.24 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3250410AS size: 232.88 GiB
Floppy-1: /dev/fd0
Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: TSSTcorp model: CD/DVDW SH-S182M rev: SB05
dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Optical-2: /dev/sr1 vendor: _NEC model: DVD_RW ND-3500AG rev: 2.16
dev-links: N/A
Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r state: running
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 116.87 GiB used: 11.31 GiB (9.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:
Info:
Processes: 432 Uptime: 7h 09m Memory: 5.82 GiB used: 1.61 GiB (27.7%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20
inxi: 3.0.32
veronica@veronica-M61PM-S2:~$
Then this one.
veronica@veronica-M61PM-S2:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c312 Logitech, Inc. DeLuxe 250 Keyboard
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
veronica@veronica-M61PM-S2:~$
Hope you can see what the issue is. Many thanks to you all and it amazes me how you can determine results for these inputs. I take my hat off to you all.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Since doing this stuff above I cannot get any video to play no matter what video player I use. Also the machine just freezes and I cant get anything to work. Have I mucked things up. :(. I have to press the power button to shut down and restart to do this post.

Update, it is just SMplayer that is not working. The other video players are working ok.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 pm

muffybean wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:35 pm

--no-input-default-bindings --input-x11-keyboard=no
I am no SMplayer user but that part of the mpv command line above would prevent keyboard input if you were running mpv directly, so maybe try without them.

That configuration you are using also disables hardware acceleration by the way, I don't know if that is intentional, but since you're saying the machine freezes maybe not - your CPU isn't the strongest.
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEen
Level 14
Level 14

Post by MrEen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi muffybean.

Video's are not my thing, but I noticed you're post showed this:

INFO_STREAM_PATH=${stream-path}
--audio-client-name=SMPlayer --term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} VB: ${=video-bitrate:0} AB: ${=audio-bitrate:0} /run/user/1000/gvfs/ftp:host=calypso.local/video/Golf/RotarySwing/Dead Drill/DEAD Drill Step 6 - Add Trail Arm & Ball.mp4
Try copying the file to someplace in your home directory then see if the file plays correctly. I've read about users having issues playing non-local content, and the ftp protocol really surprises me.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 am

I am no SMplayer user but that part of the mpv command line above would prevent keyboard input if you were running mpv directly, so maybe try without them.

That configuration you are using also disables hardware acceleration by the way, I don't know if that is intentional, but since you're saying the machine freezes maybe not - your CPU isn't the strongest.

did not do anything to disable hardware acceleration; all I have done is follow advice given to me on this forum. I have to say I am beginning to get a bit disenchanted with these and other issues I am getting with Linux. I was under the apprehension that Linux was the answer to Windows 10. Yes it certainly takes up less resources but so far it has not eliminated problems. e.g this SMplayer, which was recommended for me to use in Linux has been nothing but problems and when I asked for help I get so many different answers with none of them working. What makes it even more frustrating, SMplayer runs great on my Windows 10 machine. I have three desktops, one just with Windows 10, another dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint Mate and the 3rd with just Linux Mint Mate which I have been trying to get Linux working on properly. Although a bit slow, Windows 7 worked fine on it.

I know nothing about terminal and its commands and was advised that it was not necessary except in maybe a couple of occasions but would get commands to copy and paste but I am constantly in it following forum's instructions and have got a clue what all the commands I am given to carry out.

I am beginning too wonder whether to start again with a clean install on this machine try again and hope I get more concise help when needed. As I said I have had some poor advice on this and other matters using Linux. I am still trying to sort out the Oracle VB and Windows 10 on the other desktop machine but have been spending so much time on this machine I have not been able to get to it yet. It is just as well I have my Windows 10 machine running as that is the only stable machine I have at the moment!

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 am

Try copying the file to someplace in your home directory then see if the file plays correctly. I've read about users having issues playing non-local content, and the ftp protocol really surprises me.
I had already thought of that and copied a couple of files to the video folder. It does not make any difference with SMplayer. When I select to play the videos from my NAS box using media player or VLC they play fine. PLus with VLC it will move Frame by frame using the "e" button but you can't go back, this is why I went for SMplayer as advised to use on this forum.

As you can see it has been a bit of a horror show with that. When I installed it on Windows 10 machine it worked beautifully and have converted to it on my Windows 10 machine, if only it worked as good on Linux.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 am

muffybean wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 am
I was under the apprehension that Linux was the answer to Windows 10. Yes it certainly takes up less resources but so far it has not eliminated problems. e.g this SMplayer, which was recommended for me to use in Linux has been nothing but problems
Well, as I said, I have no experience with SMplayer, but I can recommend mpv as a video player, which apparently SMplayer is using to play the videos, anyway. mpv has a minimalistic UI though, possibly not what you want.
muffybean wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:16 am
I know nothing about terminal and its commands and was advised that it was not necessary except in maybe a couple of occasions but would get commands to copy and paste but I am constantly in it following forum's instructions and have got a clue what all the commands I am given to carry out.
It's not like you need to use the terminal, but when asking for help it's just much easier to give you a terminal command to copy & paste than to explain how to click your way through a GUI.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am

Well, as I said, I have no experience with SMplayer, but I can recommend mpv as a video player, which apparently SMplayer is using to play the videos, anyway. mpv has a minimalistic UI though, possibly not what you want.
Does it allow you to do FBF forwards and backwards like SMplayer?
It's not like you need to use the terminal, but when asking for help it's just much easier to give you a terminal command to copy & paste than to explain how to click your way through a GUI.
I accept this gm10 but get different advice from different users and being a novice in Linux find it difficult and confusing as to what advice I should follow. It is so frustrating with the amount of time I am spending just trying to get things working than getting used to Linux itself. The last 3/4 days have been spent on that one machine trying to get things right and it it is still not resolved. I want to get in some time on the other machine with Windows 10 dual boot but need this machine running for what I want it do first. That is just for me to be able to play videos from it using my big screen TV, I've even spent money on a new BT mouse and keyboard (which work fine) to be able to use this box sitting on my settee. In fact the more I get into it the more frustrating it becomes.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:57 am

muffybean wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am
Does it allow you to do FBF forwards and backwards like SMplayer?

Sure. It can do everything playback-related that SMplayer can because it is actually providing the playback for SMplayer (SMplayer cannot play videos on its own, it's using either mpv or mplayer to provide the playback). Just give it a try, you've already got it installed, anyway.
muffybean wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am
I accept this gm10 but get different advice from different users and being a novice in Linux find it difficult and confusing as to what advice I should follow.
No doubt, but see it from the positive side: There are a lot of people willing to take some time out of their day to try and help you out. ;)

Also not all advice you will get is good advice, but that's just a general fact of life.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 am

Sure. It can do everything playback-related that SMplayer can because it is actually providing the playback for SMplayer (SMplayer cannot play videos on its own, it's using either mpv or mplayer to provide the playback). Just give it a try, you've already got it installed, anyway.
Mmmmm can't say I have seen it when I select a video to play and look at the choices I have the following:
Selected MPV Media Player
Selected MPV Media Player
It opens fine using MPV Media Player but cannot see where I can move the video when paused FBF forwards and backwards, there does not seem to be anywhere that this can be set. BTW, what is the difference between Enqueue in SMplayer and SMplayer, 1st and 3rd choices in the menu?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 am
I can recommend mpv
muffybean wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 am
Mmmmm can't say I have seen it when I select a video to play and look at the choices I have the following: choice.png It opens fine using MPV Media Player
Hmm, I'm not sure what you misunderstood. ;)

gm10 wrote:
but cannot see where I can move the video when paused FBF forwards and backwards, there does not seem to be anywhere that this can be set.
, and . keys by default. Defaults can be changed in a configuration file or via command line options, the GUI has no way of doing that (as I said, it's minimalist).

Here's the manual: https://mpv.io/manual/master/
gm10 wrote:
BTW, what is the difference between Enqueue in SMplayer and SMplayer, 1st and 3rd choices in the menu?
I still don't know SMplayer but the meaning of the words is that the first option would append the video to SMplayer's play list while the third option would play it immediately.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:30 am

I still don't know SMplayer but the meaning of the words is that the first option would append the video to SMplayer's play list while the third option would play it immediately.
I wish I could get that SMplayer working as when I select it I get oops error, as it does have a lot of options in it. BTW, does MPV have sloMo setting?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 am

Sure it does. I linked you the manual above. yelp man:mpv for your local version.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”