Audio Production with Ardour / Latency

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hans123
Level 2
Level 2

Audio Production with Ardour / Latency

Post by hans123 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:08 pm

In this post I would like to share some insight regarding the subject. It may help you if you are having the same issue. It does not contain new things. It is the impact of the desktop environment that surprised me.

In LM 19.2. Cinnamon I was happily using Jack and Guitarix to play electric guitar. I could easily achieve a latency of below 10 msec.
No need for low-latency kernel, cpu performance settings, only make sure no browser / firefox is running.
With Ardour that all changed dramatically. xruns all over. I had to move to frames / periods 256 / 3 and 512 / 3 to tame the xruns. This resulted in latencies that greatly reduced the fun in recording guitar and midi instruments. I looked all over the Internet including the Mint Forum what to do about it.

When I added the Mate desktop environment to Mint with 'apt install mint-meta-mate' and restarted with Mate everything changed dramatically for the better! No need for a faster usb soundcard, faster cpu or more memory. When I start Mint I can choose between Cinnamon and Mate, no need for a separate audio distribution on a separate partition, great!

If requested I can give details on my current setup.

MrEen
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Audio Production with Ardour / Latency

Post by MrEen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi hans123.

I'm sure you probably already tried this, but just need to know. Have you tried running things through Cinnamon again since installing MATE?

I ask because all the same settings are being used in both, unless you set up another user. Maybe the MATE install bumped some file that was causing the issue in Cinnamon, and it might now be fixed.

Either way, nice work resolving your issue! :D

hans123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hans123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:49 am

Yes, I did with same user. The point is that Cinnamon is 'heavier' on the system than Mate. This is well known in the linux real time audio world. The impact is far greater than I expected, that is why I started the post.
Maybe the technical explanation is that Cinnamon is Gnome 3 / GTK3 based and Mate Gnome2 / GTK2? But anyway, the result is a smooth running Ardour with far less xruns.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 am

do you have jack with unlimited?

Code: Select all

ulimit -r -l

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”