Audio over network using jack

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Audio over network using jack

Post by eddie3000 »

Hi there folks.

I've been messing with audio over network. I am currently using jack, and I can succesfully connect using zita-njbridge across the internet. Which is fantastic really, but I have two questions to see if anybody can help.

At the moment I have two computers, the computer with me (my laptop) and a remote computer (a desktop). One is running linux mint, the other debian 10. Though that shouldn't matter.

On my l laptop I have made a script that starts another script on the desktop via ssh that initiates jack server, zita-bridge and makes the necessary connections on on the remote desktop. I can then stream audio over to the desktop with hi-fi quality pcm 16 bit audio. The latency can be surprisingly low, and increasing the buffer to about one second can be fairly reliable (keeping one's fingers crossed of course).

Question number 1: How can I stream audio in the reverse direction, from the desktop to my laptop, initiating the connection from my laptop and over a 3g/4g/5g internet connection? The ISP's public ip address is not my laptop's real ip address, I have a private IP assigned. So I can't reach my laptop from the desktop using the same method. Can zita-njbridge or jack network audio work in reverse direction?

Question number 2: I have seen options using ffmpeg to stream compressed video/audio. Can zita-bridge and/or jack network audio use data compression to reduce bandwidth and increase reliability?

Thank you very much.
eddie3000
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Audio over network using jack

Post by eddie3000 »

Half solved!! I just used a vpn for problem number one.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”