System and wav sounds loop like an infinite echo

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Comicavis
Level 1
Level 1

System and wav sounds loop like an infinite echo

Post by Comicavis »

Hello to the community and sorry in advance for this bad English, mix between what I know and google translate :-)
I have a sound problem that I cannot solve, when a system sound occurs, it loops.
If I modify the volume, the loop stop, if I play an mp3 file with Audacious for example, no problem but if I play a wav with Audacious the problem is reproduced at the end of playback but unlike system sounds it happens stops on its own after a few seconds.
I am running Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa, Asus B450-Plus motherboard with integrated sound card and NVidia GE-Force RTX 2060 video card.
If anyone has an idea it interests me greatly.
Thank you in advance
(After reflection the sound does not loop but stretches while stuttering : hello> heeeelllllooooooooooooooooooooooo
Voila, it's much more realistic like that, more stylish ;-) )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: System and wav sounds loop like an infinite echo

Post by rene »

Is there any way you can verify this not occuring on Windows? Probably not easily or you'd have already done so, but this seems to hint at hardware. If it does also happen on Windows, also scrounge around the BIOS a bit for things possibly involving IRQs or perhaps IOMMU.
Comicavis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Comicavis »

rene wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 am Is there any way you can verify this not occuring on Windows? Probably not easily or you'd have already done so, but this seems to hint at hardware. If it does also happen on Windows, also scrounge around the BIOS a bit for things possibly involving IRQs or perhaps IOMMU.
I'd rather hang myself (or let's say go without audio for life) rather than installing Windows on my machine and so this is a test I can't perform.
But checking the bios is a lead that I will still check because it is an interesting possibility.
Thank you for the answer.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

If the BIOS doesn't solve this, let's get a look at your sound setup with this command:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to the info. Pasting that URL is all I need.

I know I've seen this before, but can't remember the cause. Hopefully something in the output will remind me.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

FWIW it was reminding me of an interrupt delivery or acknowledgement issue known on old AMD or I believe Nvidia chipsets... or well, it did until the last bit about the "stretchting" which sounds more like an effect.
Comicavis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Comicavis »

Hello and thank you for following up on my problem.
So two things, following my interrogation on the bios I rebooted and modified the config quite simply to go from optimized to standard and the problem disappeared. Coool, but since I'm paranoid I rebooted again and the problem reappeared.
So is it a problem or the detection puts one thing before another, but not always.
In short, here is the result of the test https://termbin.com/lait
I give up because I had a very difficult day but tomorrow I will reboot and when I have the problem I will do the test again to compare, maybe it will show something.
MrEen wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:58 pm If the BIOS doesn't solve this, let's get a look at your sound setup with this command:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to the info. Pasting that URL is all I need.

I know I've seen this before, but can't remember the cause. Hopefully something in the output will remind me.
Comicavis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Comicavis »

I don't know why but this nvidia card I can't really feel it, I wonder if this is not the source of the problem knowing that it also has a role to play in the sound system.
Wait and see
rene wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:39 am FWIW it was reminding me of an interrupt delivery or acknowledgement issue known on old AMD or I believe Nvidia chipsets... or well, it did until the last bit about the "stretchting" which sounds more like an effect.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Believe you interpreted my "Nvidia chipset" remark as referring to your 2060 but note that wasn't the idea: your graphics card would only be (minimally, doing little other than providing a physical port) involved in audio if you'd be using HDMI or DP audio-out. If you are using your motherboard audio, it is not involved. There was a time that Nvidia produced actual motherboard-chipsets, and those could have the issue I was thinking of.

It's interesting that it behaved for a bit after changing BIOS options. Notion: could it be the case that (with those "standard" BIOS settings) things behave from a cold boot, i.e., from system fully off, possibly even after having the power removed for a few minutes, but not on a reboot? If so, seems like a Linux hardware initialization problem. You'd still need to identity if and if so which actual BIOS setting would be responsible to have further chance; it'd be surprising if Google wouldn't find more affected people, but I'm for now not finding any.

MrEen has lots of experience with audio issues here; he'll be your best chance to have anything furthermore useful said if indeed this turns out audio-specific.
Comicavis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Comicavis »

Let's say that the video card was an ordeal to configure under Linux Mint 17 that I had previously and it seemed to me it also disturbed my sound I had to resolve to install a USB sound card (for info Audiophonics U-Sabre ES9023) thing that had solved the problem totally.
Regarding my current problem, following a new update of the Linux kernel I had to reboot and the problem did not reproduce no this time, I think that indeed it is a question of detection which is done one way or another and one of the two works.
I'm thinking that maybe you don't have to rack your brains for something I can fix by rebooting something I do once or twice a month.
Intellectually I would like to understand but hey.
Thanks for looking into my problem.
Cordially.

rene wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 am Believe you interpreted my "Nvidia chipset" remark as referring to your 2060 but note that wasn't the idea: your graphics card would only be (minimally, doing little other than providing a physical port) involved in audio if you'd be using HDMI or DP audio-out. If you are using your motherboard audio, it is not involved. There was a time that Nvidia produced actual motherboard-chipsets, and those could have the issue I was thinking of.

It's interesting that it behaved for a bit after changing BIOS options. Notion: could it be the case that (with those "standard" BIOS settings) things behave from a cold boot, i.e., from system fully off, possibly even after having the power removed for a few minutes, but not on a reboot? If so, seems like a Linux hardware initialization problem. You'd still need to identity if and if so which actual BIOS setting would be responsible to have further chance; it'd be surprising if Google wouldn't find more affected people, but I'm for now not finding any.

MrEen has lots of experience with audio issues here; he'll be your best chance to have anything furthermore useful said if indeed this turns out audio-specific.

Return to “Sound”