Thinkpad no sound, folks I'm lost ....

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jcarpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Thinkpad no sound, folks I'm lost ....

Postby jcarpenter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm

I was having problems with my girlfriends machine, so I updated her machine to Mint 13. Problems went away.

I have been have the blue-people problem on my thinkpad for awhile but never encountered a solution that worked, so I decided to install Mint 13 on my W520. Unfortunately, during the install, I've lost sound. I pulled up a terminal and did "lspci" and got this:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

But it seems I can't get back sound. Any ideas would be really appreciated......

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Thinkpad no sound, folks I'm lost ....

Postby bimsebasse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Go to

System Settings > Sound > Hardware

Select the High Def Audio Controller and set it to "off"in the profile drop-down menu at the bottom
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

jcarpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jcarpenter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Go to

System Settings > Sound > Hardware

Select the High Def Audio Controller and set it to "off"in the profile drop-down menu at the bottom

I turned off the hi-def audio and rebooted. Still no joy -- sound missing. Sure appreciate your efforts. More ideas please?

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby bimsebasse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Try to "un-off" it and see if you can get any sound at all when you select built-in audio and HD audio from the the Output tab same place
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

jcarpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jcarpenter » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:34 pm

I reinstalled and still no joy. Then I turned off the hi-def audio and turned off the machine for *30 seconds*. On reboot, the sound came up just fine. Prior to this, I was only waiting ~ 15 seconds before restart.

Thanks for the info and effort folks......

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”