Gmediafinder Can No Longer Play Youtube Videos

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kherring7383
Level 2
Level 2

Gmediafinder Can No Longer Play Youtube Videos

Postby kherring7383 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Is it me, or is anyone else have this issue with Gmediafinder?

Several days ago I was able to watch Youtube videos, but since several updates, the videos that are found are skipped when I attempt to start playing them.

Has something changed?

Mint 13
Gmediafinder v 0.9.9.1

kherring7383
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Gmediafinder Can No Longer Play Youtube Videos

Postby kherring7383 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Although I couldn't find any fix for this problem, I decided to give Minitube another try even though it too had similar issues in the past which is the reason I switched to Gmediafinder.

Since then Minitube 1.8 has been released and a fix for it was posted which basically requires more restricted extras to be installed and renaming the libgstvideoparsersbad.so plugin.

Apparently the libgstvideoparsersbad.so plugin has a bug that creates a problem with the playing videos and the person who posted it didn't explain why, but I guess it doesn't really matter just as long as it fixes Minitube.

Before installing minitube, you must first install the plugins followed by renaming libgstvideoparsersbad.so.

(1) Install Plugins:
sudo apt-get install libqtgui4 libqt4-xml libqt4-network libqt4-dbus phonon-backend-gstreamer gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

(2) Rename libgstvideoparsersbad.so:
sudo mv /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstvideoparsersbad.so.bak

(3) Install minitube
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/minitube
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install minitube

After I followed these steps I'm now able to play videos just fine.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”