Burnt audio disks, playback distorted

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elkangorito

Burnt audio disks, playback distorted

Post by Elkangorito »

I've had a good look around & can't see a problem similar to mine so here goes.

I'm a new user of Linux, although I tried Redhat in the early 90's.
I tried to burn some audio CD's from some FLAC files, which I'd previously acquired, using Brasero. The volume of the recorded music when played in a standard CD player (Teac CD/Radio) was very low. At full volume, the music was at a normal listening level.
I then read about all the problems with Brasero & removed it from my system.

I then thought I'd like to burn the same files with Xfburn but I found out that it doesn't have any provision for inserting, removing or changing the gap between audio tracks.

Consequently, I installed K3b & tried to burn the FLAC files using this software. At least it allowed me to manipulate the gap between tracks.
When I played the burnt CD in my little Teac player, the sound became progressively distorted. E.g. distortion not present on 1st track. Distortion barely noticeable on 2nd track, increasing with track numbers until, on the final track, lots of distortion & even some track skipping.

The Teac player does not have a problem as it can play all other CD's perfectly.
The files that I'm trying to burn play perfectly on any sound media e.g. vlc, banshee etc.

This is the only problem that I have with Linux so far.
It looks like I'll still have to use window$ for such things as burning audio CD's. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Burnt audio disks, playback distorted

Post by catweazel »

You might try burning at a slower speed, no more than x8.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Elkangorito

Post by Elkangorito »

I tried the lowest speed available on 2 different burners. The result was the same.
The blank CD's that I'm using, work perfectly well when used to burn audio disks in window$.
Elkangorito

Post by Elkangorito »

I think I've solved the problem.

I discovered that the batch of media I was using was faulty. I tried a new batch of media & all seemed ok.

I think it is still rather strange that if I use CDBurnerXP on Wndows 7, I can successfully burn the media at speeds as low as 1x. Using the same media, K3b will only burn the media at 16x, even though I try to change it to 4x.

Return to “Sound”