How do I convert wav files to ogg? [SOLVED]

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ichido
Level 3
Level 3

How do I convert wav files to ogg? [SOLVED]

Post by ichido »

How do I convert wav files into ogg files?
Last edited by ichido on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato
edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I convert wav files to ogg?

Post by edwardr »

I don't have access to a Linux machine right now, but going from memory, look for a program called "Sound Converter". You can install it from the software center if it is not already installed. It's fairly easy to use, edit the preferences to choose the target file format and directory.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true
6dandl5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 6dandl5 »

edwardr wrote:I don't have access to a Linux machine right now, but going from memory, look for a program called "Sound Converter". You can install it from the software center if it is not already installed. It's fairly easy to use, edit the preferences to choose the target file format and directory.
I do all my sound conversion with XP with a program called Freerip. I save to my documents music folder. I can then open this folder with Linux Mint and play my music from their or drag and drop the files into the Mint music folder. I tried Sound Converter but it was to slow for me.
ichido
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ichido »

6dandl5 wrote:
edwardr wrote:I don't have access to a Linux machine right now, but going from memory, look for a program called "Sound Converter". You can install it from the software center if it is not already installed. It's fairly easy to use, edit the preferences to choose the target file format and directory.
I do all my sound conversion with XP with a program called Freerip. I save to my documents music folder. I can then open this folder with Linux Mint and play my music from their or drag and drop the files into the Mint music folder. I tried Sound Converter but it was to slow for me.
Thanks, but I don't Windoze :-)
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. –Plato
ichido
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ichido »

From the Adobe web site: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?no_ab=1

NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform.
Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

Browser: Firefox

???

When I try to download the Flashplayer, I get the following Error:

Unknown channel 'nadia-partner'
The channel 'nadia-partner' is not known

???
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Riko »

To convert .wav to .ogg, install ffmpeg if not already installed

Code: Select all

> sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
ffmpeg is sort of the swiss army knife of codec conversion. To convert your file(s), do:

> ffmpeg -i my_sound_file.wav my_sound_file.ogg
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

For OGG, I usually go with either WinFF or oggconvert.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

You have confused the guys fellas :D Here is the list of the best conversion tools in the world :D

1- FF-Multi Converter:

FF-Multi Converter is a simple graphical application which enables you to convert audio, video, image and document files between all popular formats, using and combining other programs. It uses ffmpeg for audio/video files, unoconv for document files and PythonMagick library for image file conversions.
The goal of FF Multi Converter is to gather all multimedia types in one application and provide conversions for them easily through a user-friendly interface. Extra options will be gradually added.

It converts almost everything :D

To install FF-Multi Converter in Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ffmulticonverter/stable
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install ffmulticonverter

2- soundconverter:

SoundConverter is a simple sound converter application for the GNOME environment. It reads sound files in any format supported by GStreamer and outputs them in Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, or WAV format, or MP3 format if you have the GStreamer LAME plugin.

To install soundconverter in Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install soundconverter

3- Avidemux:

Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.

To install Avidemux in Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install avidemux

4- Transmaggedon:

Transmageddon supports almost any format as its input and can generate a very large host of output files. The goal of the application was to help people to create the files they need to be able to play on their mobile devices and for people not hugely experienced with multimedia to generate a multimedia file without having to resort to command line tools with ungainly syntaxes.

The currently supported codecs are:
* Containers:
- Ogg
- Matroska
- AVI
- MPEG TS
- flv
- QuickTime
- MPEG4
- 3GPP
- MXT
* Audio encoders:
- Vorbis
- FLAC
- MP3
- AAC
- AC3
- Speex
- Celt
* Video encoders:
- Theora
- Dirac
- H264
- MPEG2
- MPEG4/DivX5
- xvid
- DNxHD
It also provide the support for the GStreamer's plugins auto-search.

To install Transmageddon in Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo apt-get install transmageddon 
ichido
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ichido »

Thanks Brahim :D
FF-Multi Converter works great 8)
You have saved me many hours of frustration.
Thanks Again and Bravo!

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”