Video Playback Help

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Video Playback Help

Post by chowanec »

Hey all,

I just got a snazzy new television installed in the living room (yay!) -- 1080p, 46 inch Samsung. Totally happy with the TV. Not totally happy with my video playback.

Just playing back backed up DVD images off my media server (Long Way Round - http://longwayround.com/html/lwr_dvm.html effing RULES!) the video playsback at a horrible rate -- seems to drop frames everywhere. I've tried this both on my NVidia Box (Dual Core) and my Mini-Itx box (VIA Openchrome, 1ghz... *blush*) -- but they both have the same basic result. I'm using VLC and just dragging and dropping the ISO.

Am I totally stupid and doing something silly? I have no Compiz running on the ITX box, and compiz running on the NVidia box. Again, same basic results...

It's a 720x480 video running in full-screen mode in vlc (1080p). I can deal with pixelation, but the choppiness is driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

-Chow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Video Playback Help

Post by Husse »

A few more details please
You play it off your media server you say. Do I understand you right that this is networked to two other computers?
Also I have seen problems with dragging and dropping - what happens if you open the ISO from the menu?
What happens with other file formats (mp2 mp3 vob flac what have you)
Sorry for the late answer - I hoped someone with experience with a media server would answer
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

And a bit more clarification, you have Compiz enabled on a media server? Try disabling that, first.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowanec »

You play it off your media server you say. Do I understand you right that this is networked to two other computers?
Also I have seen problems with dragging and dropping - what happens if you open the ISO from the menu?
What happens with other file formats (mp2 mp3 vob flac what have you)
Sorry for the late answer - I hoped someone with experience with a media server would answer
Yes -- media server is networked.
Same results when opening the ISO from the file menu.
Other formats work fine. Amarok holds steady as ever.
And a bit more clarification, you have Compiz enabled on a media server? Try disabling that, first.
Don't hate me -- the media server is a windows box. It's the only one left in the house. And that's because I rely on Mozy. http://www.mozy.com They don't have a linux client yet... :P

Return to “Sound”